Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

poor speech on ip phones at remote site

Status
Not open for further replies.

NMYSBH

Technical User
Sep 7, 2009
GB
poor speech quality on ip phones at remote sites.

Cool :)

Probably a network issue

ACS - Implement IP Office
ACA - Implement IP Telephony -- ACA - Design IP Telephony
ACA - Voice Services Management

have done a doctor voip test,and tests were ok,customer has a remote user on diferent site testing ok,traffic is not an issue its a small sight with one pc using the vpn,will try to capture monitor trace when calls in place.thanks

A network check a day keeps the Doctor away.

Avaya_Red.gif

Dain Bramaged

do a traceroute to count the hops ive had two connections in diffent cities have major issues because of this... regardless of the bandwidth. providers may have re routed traffic over a different route many many hops away

dodgy routing between ISPs will cause this. the RTP gets a bit lost.

which is what the above person just said ;-)

You may want to check your phones for defects. There are some cases where small pin holes in the handsets allow packets to fall out. ;)

You may want to check your phones for defects. There are some cases where small pin holes in the handsets allow packets to fall out. ;)
if you pour enough coke into it, the packets stick and dont get lost.

"There's a dog in the New Zealand section

So then there really is no way of getting a "toll quality" connection using a DSL connection or is there something more you can try.

I experimented with the traceroute and got 11 hops one way and the other direction made it to 11 and kept timing out afterwards (my guess it is blocked by a firewall)

It seems to me that with it being only at 729 it should be at least consistent but sometimes you can talk between the two for 15 minutes with no issues sometime it has problem in the first 30 secs???

No there isn't, sometimes you can get close but the only way to guarantee it is a leased line with QoS running or some other kind of guaranteed service from a providor. As with anything you get what you pay for, and if it's free it will never be perfect :)

ACS - IP Office Implement

"What the Crocodile Hat....was that?

Agreed. With remote sites it's easier just to set up MPLS IP VPN between locations for allocated voice bandwidth.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back