Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Poor Quality VoIP

Status
Not open for further replies.

B657

Programmer
Jul 19, 2007
GB
Hi Everyone,

Without wanting to get into a huge discussion about the pros and cons of VoIP, and our expectations of it, does anyone have any thoughts on the following scenario.

Using phone manager pro in IP softphone mode; when I use it to connect to our IPO over either our SDSL or ADSL, the speech quality is poor but only in one direction (from the IPO to softphone), the other direction (softphone to IPO) it is crystal clear.

Logic tells me that this is a problem with the upstream on the from IPO to the softphone. However SDSL should be the same in both directions, which brings me here.

Are there any configuration settings that would have an impact on the call quality in one direction only?

Thanks Guys

What codec are you using ?
What Windows are you using ?
What kind of pc or laptop are you using ?

Softphones can have poor quality sometimes

In 4.2 they are are changing the way the softphone works because of Windows Vista
Maybe that will solve the poor quality sometimes

ACA - Implement IP Office
ACS - Implement IP Office
ACA - Voice Services Management

Clarify the speech quality!
Loss of speech?
echo during speech?
What is the DSLAM providing the XDSL?

* The Codec is G729a.
* Win XP Pro - firewall off
* Speech is broken, but it is silence interjected by a brief bit of voice.

Type of VPN?

have you uninstalled the Microsoft Qos scheduler?

Take Care

Matt
I have always wished that my computer would be as easy to use as my telephone.
My wish has come true. I no longer know how to use my telephone.

HI B657

I had the exact same problem and it was the QOS scheduler under the network adapters. You have to remove it completely you can not just disable it.

Marshall

Sorry for the late post chaps. I uninstalled the QoS scheduler and it all worked.

Thanks for the help. Is that documented on any Avaya papers?

Yep

In the knowledge base

Its Tech Tip 88

Take Care

Matt
I have always wished that my computer would be as easy to use as my telephone.
My wish has come true. I no longer know how to use my telephone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back