Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Poor performance calling a stored procedure

Status
Not open for further replies.

WebNickson

Programmer
Dec 8, 2003
SG
Hi,

I've a performance problem when calling an oracle stored procedure for a record insertion. Below is my code :

For n = 1 to 5
...Some other code...
Set Command1 = Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Command")
With Command1
.ActiveConnection = CONN_STRING
.CommandText = "SP_ABC"
.CommandType = adCmdStoredProc
.CommandTimeout = 0
.Prepared = true
.Parameters.Append Command1.CreateParameter("RV_FROMCODE", 200, 1,6,strTemp(n))
.Parameters.Append Command1.CreateParameter("RV_RESULT", 200, 1,6)
.Execute()
End With
strResult = Command1.Parameters("RV_RESULT")
...Some other code...
Next

The code is kind of inefficient like I am creating the command obj in each loop!

Could someone advise me on how to optimize the code?

rgds,
Nickson

Why not create the command object outside the loop and then just reset the values of the command object inside the loop just before you execute it.

--------------------------------------
"We are star-stuff. We are the universe made manifest trying to figure itself out."
-- Delenn in Babylon 5 - "A Distant Star"

Actually, I did try that but I got this error which I dun understand at all.

Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers error '80040e14'

[Microsoft][ODBC driver for Oracle][Oracle]ORA-06550: line 1, column 218: PLS-00103: Encountered the symbol &quot;>&quot; when expecting one of the following: ( - + mod not null others <an identifier> <a double-quoted delimited-identifier> <a bind variable> avg count current exists max min prior sql stddev sum variance execute forall time timestamp interval date <a string literal with character set specification> <a number> <a single-quoted SQL string>

rgds,
Nickson

Brian, could you explain in greater detail? Are you saying this :

If n = 1 Then
Command1.Parameters.Append Command1.CreateParameter (&quot;RV_FROMCODE&quot;, 200, 1,6)
Command1.Parameters.Append Command1.CreateParameter(&quot;RV_RESULT&quot;, 200, 1,6)
End If
Command1.Parameters(&quot;RV_FROMCODE&quot;) = strTemp(n)

fyi, it took me only 5s to execute the sp for 6 times but 30s with the above mentioned asp code for the same values.

One more think I cannot understand is why I could not bring the command object creation out of the loop??

rgds,
Nickson

For every iteration you are resetting all the information again, which you don't need to do. Instead, just set up your parameters within a parameters collection (see link below). This will shorten the round trip you are performing in your for loop.

I think that it will be best explained by referencing this website:

regards,
Brian

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back