Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Polycom SoundStation2 or 550D 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

smiom

Technical User
Sep 13, 2004
We have a Meridian 1 Option 11e system with analogue and digital ports. We need a conference phone. I don't know which to get: SoundStation2 (analogue) or Premier EX 550D Meridian (digital). Other threads give the impression 550D is difficult to configure and may disable overnight. However, it has the advantage of being able to initiate conference calls and/or plug in another Meridian phone (I assume digital) for privacy.

Is it possible to initiate conference calls (ie. more than 2 parties) with any analogue phone or just a SoundStation type phone? Or, does it have to be digital? Pardon my ignorance.

If only one of them can do what we want it to do, it will make my decision easier.

You can do up to a 6 party conference with an analog phone, you just have to use a hook-flash to add participants. The same is true for the SoundStation, it is just designed as a speakerphone, with better mic coverage.

Hope this helps,

Scott M.

What we do in every room: The speakerphone on the analog line appears on the 2616 set as KEY 2. People use the 2616 when it's more than a simple call or answer. we've found the second phone is pretty valuable for a number of reasons. You could add an ATA to it too, but it's not a money saver...just a convenience.

I've bought a few other brands lately. I really like the Konftel ( .com ) units.

The polycom with the extra sub-woofer (can't remember the model) is the best sounding I've heard - but it costs much more than the basic models

~
Gene of ~

I have never heard of hookflash before. Thanks for the info.

To have the advantage of plugging a Meridian phone into the 550D seems to be the deciding factor of which SoundStation to buy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back