Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Polycom Sound Quality - Conference Calls

Status
Not open for further replies.

klmnop

MIS
May 4, 2006
US
In our main conference room (which seats 10-20 people), we have an older Polycom with two extension microphones. There doesn't appear to be a model number, it's just the Polycom SoundStation EX. We've had this for at least 6 - 7 years.

Sound quality occasionally is very poor for users who call in to conference calls.

For conference calls, we use the Avaya Meetme Conference, and then combination of Gotomeeting (with separate audio) with either a Meetme number or our Freeconferencecall.com number. (And I did check -- the freeconferencecall uses the regular PSTN, vs. voip).

Here's the question: Does it make sense to upgrade to the Polycom VTX 1000? We have another phone in the room, a Avaya 6408D+. I considered the Avaya 2490, but am concerned call quality will not be good enough.

We have work-at-home agents who connect via telecommuter mode, and call quality is spotty enough to make me steer away from any of the VOIP Polycoms.

Any advice/suggestions would be appreciated.

Although I agree that the VTX 1000 is a good choice for a bigger room, it's key feature won't be an advantage.

It's sound quality improves only when it's used in a point to point call with another VTX 1000. If you're in a conference bridge, or calling a common speakerphone, it may not be much better than your EX.

Carpe dialem! (Seize the line!)

OK ... so what is the solution for a conference call with multiple parties?

Should I specify that any external parties either not be on speaker phone, or mute the call when not talking?

Just replace the aging polycom EX with something new and I'm sure your quality will increase. After 7 years, your EX is ready for retirement.

The VTX is good for larger rooms or if the poeple at the polycomm are having trouble hearing because of the woofer. If you are actually getting quality problems it could be the way you are stacking more callers into a meet me conference than it is designed to support. Your loss plan can only adapt to the callers it knows about.

Thanks to all for the input. I feel a lot more comfortable about ordering a new polycom, now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back