Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PolyCom Forwarding?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 9, 2001
US
Hello,
I installed a PolyCom at a customers site off of an ASM. All works well except that they want to call forward it to another ext. When I do a flash * 4 and enter the extension number it will not forward. I can plug in my Buttset and do a flash * 4 and it will get forwarded to the ext. entered. This is the second PolyCom that I installed,thinking that something was wrong with the flash button on the first PolyCom. I called PolyCom and they were pretty much useless as to what to do. Has anyone else had this problem.It works fine otherwise. I set it up to forward on no answer to the extension and that works fine.
Thanks
Dmac,

Dmac,
You butt set has a different impedance than the Polycomm. Make sure tones are on, and that your link time on the polycomm is above 500ms. Installed polycomm on a different phone system and link worked fine there. Is you ASM w/MW? Try an ATA2 to check and compare.

PhM

Arr,
I,m not sure what you mean by the w/MW. I didn't check the programming on the PolyCom ext. for tones or the link time . What is the timing on the MICS defaulted to for the link timing. Thanks for the help.
Dmac,

Dmac,
The link time on the KSU will only be for the CO signalling. Link time on the Polycomm should be longer than 500 ms. The MW is message waiting. Some ASMs have it. It is more or less an idle question but has to do with the available comm paths to the analog device. If it has MW see if you can turn it off. I don't know if you can do this.

Cheers
PhM

Arr,
I,m not sure if it has MW. I can find out. I find this kind of strange as far as the customer is concerned. Why would you want to forward a conference phone anyway. But they are always right.To check if it has MW would you check it under Hardware or Maintence? Thanks for the help.
Dmac,

Dmac,
Quite frankly I don't think the MW is an issue. I'm not sure where you would find it. Perhaps in the station programming or Maint. The customer is not always right we just try to oblige to the best of our ability. I suspect the impedance issue more than anything. Shouldn't excede 600ohms. But as I wrote earlier, test against an ATA2.
Good luck eh? Post what you find our.

PhM

I had one customer that was using a Confrence Phone, I put in a plain telephone in the room connected to that line also since sometimes the customer would want to take a call but not be on speakerphone. this was a convienence for the customer but if you suggested it to your customer this would give you a regular phone that could make the "link * 4 EXT". JerryReeve
Communications Systems Int'l
com-sys.com

Arr,jerryreeve,
I hate to beat a dead horse. This is what I got back from PolyCom about this problem.Any thoughts.

When hooked up in this fashion the Polycom phone is essentially a "dumb
terminal". It becomes simply a speaker for the NORSTAR phone. the only
functionality you will get is
the speaker portion. All calls have to be controlled from the handset phone.
We do
make a phone for the Norstar system for Nortel that is Nortel branded and
can be purchased through Nortel. It is a digital phone that plugs directly
into a wall jack from the PBX.
Thank you,
Julie B
Polycom Technical Assistance Center

I do know there is a Nortel version of the Polycom Soundstation that works off of a station port of the Norstar. I think it's pretty pricey, but it will work. I think your only other option is to do as jerryreeve suggested and setup a plain analog phone along with the Polycom and use it to do your Call Fwd.

Good Luck.

Dmac,
Thanks for the update. I can only say ECCCCCCCCH!
What bothers me is the thing works fine on other 'analog adapters' for other phone systems. So where's the beef?
It's not like the other systems use different signalling either. It's all hookflash centrex stuff. Sheesh. Jerryreeve's suggestion is a good one.. wonder if there is a stand alone hook flash switch that isn't as ugly as an old analog telephone?

PhM

We had the same issue with a customer who wanted to initiate a conference call from a Polycom (analog). I got up with a crusty old tech in their support group and he dug out an old document he had tucked away. He faxed it to me and it's a set of instructions on how to change the "flash" button timing. This would enable you to change it to what the "Link" timing should be to initiate a conference call. Arr suggested something longer than 500 ms. I just got this and will have my tech try it out. I'll post the instructions if it works out. It should work for forwarding a call too. If you want it before than, send me an email with your fax number and I'll get it to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back