Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

pollsets

Status
Not open for further replies.

veroL

Programmer
Jan 10, 2003
FR
Hello,

I would like to know if pollsets have priorities. In fact, i have the following problem: i have created a pollset that is used to poll all the equipements that have "router" class with the "public" community. But, one router must be polled with a different community name. Will that be ok if i create a new pollset just for that equipement or will that conflict with the other pollset?
Any answer is welcome,
Thank you in advance

You can go ahead & create as many pollsets for an agent as you want. If you have only one host for that particular community string, also specify the hostname (or IP) in the host field to speed up the selection.

Remember that the "agent" field does not directly correlate with the usual sense of the word Agent in NSM terminology; in this sense, it merely is a string to identify the SNMP listener on the other end.

Also, use the "name" field as a descriptor; this field has to be unique across the pollsets.

what do you mean by SNMP listener? This doesn't seem clear to me.

The host that needs to be polled with a different community string than "public" is a weelfleet router. What shall i put in the field "agent" of the pollset? Agent or Weelfleet or something else? I have specified the IP adress of my router in the field "Host".

I have created the pollset
name: Agents@IP_addr
Agent: Agent
Host: IP_addr
Port: 161
Get: NewCommunityName (ie not "public").

Then i have restarted the DSM.
But the router is still polled with the "public community".
Can anyone explain that?
Thank you in advance.

By SNMP listener, I mean something which speaks and understands SNMP (like the SNMP stack on your router).

The "name" field is user-definable text - call it "Snoopy" if you want.

The "agent" field refers to the class (or superclass) you will be connecting to. Using the word "Agent" here may be a problem, as the NSM OS agents use that superclass name. I'd suggest using the name of the class you have defined the object with in the WorldView.

Rather than restarting the DSM, you can use the Test view of the pollsets utility to see if the device responds; set HostClass to the class of device from the WorldView, set the IP of the device under Hostname/IP, and then AgentClass to the device class again. Hit Test, and you will see responses from the device; if you see what you're expecting, restart your DSM!

when you restart dsm it rewrite pollsets from policy awwvcfg.dat so if you want to have right pollset you have to modify this file with right community name.
Second way is restart dsm with 'skipwv' option.

Pollsets function similar to message records - the most specific one is used first, then the less specific ones in order of specificity.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back