Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

POLL: Do you use SQL or Raima with Arcserve...and why?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mcse924

MIS
Feb 14, 2002
US
Why am I asking? It's budget time folks. Do I switch? Keep Arcserve and add SQL? I don't know!

I use Arcserve with the default Raima db, and have had sketchy results. Let's just say I rebuild my database every quarter. I have read numerous posts from other users stating that their Raima db's are 5gb, 10gb, or larger with no problems!! For whatever reason (s), my Arcserve 2000 solution craps out at around 3gb.

Also,I have NEVER heard a DEFINITIVE answer as to whether or not SQL is that much better or worth the effort. I don't want to trade one problem for a more complicated one. I want to Keep It Simple Stupid, if you catch my drift. ALL feedback is GREATLY appreciated!

Carpe diem, procrastination is the thief of time...

Wanna keep your DB manageable?

Simple, only record summary and tape information into the database, and MERGE tapes as needed to do restores.

I work with Arcserve customers quite frequently and 8GB seems to be the cutoff spot for Raima. This assumes you are running the DB maintance utilites on a regular basis. (I recommend monthly for typical users.)

I have a customer in California running 127 installs of Arcserve 9. All 127 report to a Central DB running SQL 2000. Last time I was there the DB was over 30GB and running fine.

Ok. This is good. How do I prevent the MERGE process, I thought it happens automatically at the end of the backup job (s)?

KEEP THE FEEDBACK COMING, FOLKS!!

Carpe diem, procrastination is the thief of time...

You have to adjust the job options settings for this. Go into the job, then to options and to the 'operations' tab and select 'record job and session information only'.
According to your database : 3GB should be managable by ARCserve's VLDB. What is the amount of free space left on the volume ARCserve is installed on ?? Keep two to three times the size of the ARCserve database as free space in order to have the DB functioning properly.

regards

The biggest issue with SQL is maintenance.
You have to keep up your SQL database maint jobs and make sure the serve with the db is built for SQL (sep spindles for logs and db's)

I keep a large sql database (20GB) and do not like to merge to find a file or file version, as 90% of my restores are for files less than 3 weeks old I prune at 21 days. So far so good and it saves a bunch of time.

I use a SQL database, but it is super slow when trying to drill down for restores. Anyone have any ideas why it would be so slow?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back