Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Polies on a member server

Status
Not open for further replies.

RFBaker

Technical User
Oct 5, 2000
GB
I have an NT 4 server with 4 nt workstations, I was wondering if it is possible to set up policies for the workstations if they dont connect to a PDC, I've managed to get profiles working. (please dont ask why im not using a pdc its a long story).

Richard

Richard Baker
RFBaker@BTInternet.com

I know the following definitely works for win9x clients- I would imagine its something similar for NT wkstn:
You can create your policy file and save it to an area that the users logging on to the workstations have read access (i.e a share on your member server- give everyone read access): you can then use the system policy editor (or regedit(32))on each machine to modify the local registry to point to this file using the 'update' registry key

I'll check this out and confirm it but I'm pretty sure it will work- any questions give us a shout

HTH

Cheers for the info Pantman.
Richard

Richard Baker
RFBaker@BTInternet.com

If I open the registry in Poleditthe make changesand the try to save the policy I get a registry error 260368, If I try to create a new policy and then save as I get the error " error trying to update the registry". (this policy stuff Is new to me )

Richard

Richard Baker
RFBaker@BTInternet.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back