Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Policy Problems 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

antikenyo

Technical User
Feb 19, 2001
AU
my problem goes this way. i have nt server and i have nt workstation. this workstation has its own default settings. then i apply policy to it. i restrict and hide run command, menu settings, etc. and i does it. now i want to restore everything go back to its own defualt settings. no policies impose but when i try to do the restoration. i got probs coz the original setting of my nt workstations did not restore. help me!!

Golden rules of policies:

NEVER set a policy for a computer.

ALWAYS set policies for groups.

SOMETIMES set policies for users (if your user base is small, this is a good idea. Otherwise only apply policies to groups).

ONLY apply policies to the local Administrator if you're really really sure you want to.

To restore policies to their original state, log onto the machine as administrator, rename the ntconfig.pol file, and delete cached users profiles.

Create a new default user hive by expanding the ntuser.da_ from the rescue disk folder and copying it to the profile folder.

You may need to create a new adminitrator equivalent user, if your administrator profile is still wrong, however!

Good Luck!

In a network environment, ideally, the policy files for groups and users are created on the PDC and stored in the NETLOGON share. But in your case it appears that you have applied a local system policy on a workstation. You would have used Poledit and saved the policies for the default user and local machine. Now all you have to do is to edit taht particular file and restore all the restrictions you applied. The poledit files have a .pol extention. A typical policy file is named like NTconfig.pol. Try it, hope it helps.
Mubashir

thanks CitrixEngineer! i got an idea with you. i only applied policy using poledit with their user not with their computer. are all of the policy you created save on the file name ntconfig.pol?

Mubashir i've done what you said earlier but it can restore the original settings of my workstation. all i did is add another user then impose policy. i did not modify default user and computer is that correct?

hope to hear with you again guys!!

when you create a usergroup to restrict a set of users.. I always keep an unrestrict group to reverse the changes if i run into problems... just take the user out of the restricted group and put them in unrestrict and that will reverse the changes...

Bookouri, thats the method I use so I can tinker with the policy to fine tune it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back