Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Policy gets lost on reboot

Status
Not open for further replies.

jamescpp

IS-IT--Management
Aug 29, 2001
US
I'm using gpedit.msc to try and create a policy. I can create it using gpedit, and it works, but after reboot the setting is gone. The setting I'm trying to save is:

Local Computer Policy/Computer Configuration/Administrative Templates/Windows Components/Internet Explorer/Internet Control Panel/Security Page/Site to Zone Assignment List

Any suggestions on how to make changes to this policy and save it permanently?

Thanks!
James

<bump> anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,
James

Well with the limited info you give, here is my guess. You are using gpedit.msc which modifies the "local policy". When you reboot, or probably even logoff and on, a "domain policy" is over riding the "local policy" changes.

RoadKi11

"This apparent fear reaction is typical, rather than try to solve technical problems technically, policy solutions are often chosen." - Fred Cohen

Agreed with Roadki11. Sounds like you are editing the local policy and the domain policy is over riding it. You need to use the Group Policy Management console or edit the policy through Active Directory.

Network+ Inet+ MCP

Thank you for the suggestions. We do not use Active Directory or a Domain. This is a standalone server in a workgroup. I apologize for the limited information. I'd be happy to give more details but not sure what to give.

It is Windows 2003 SP2.
Workgroup server, no AD or Domain.

Thanks,
James

Unfortunately I've had no luck. I tried the link you sent, which says to:
"delete all the files in %windir%\Security\Templates\Policies folder except Tmpgptfl.inf"

Problem is I don't have a Policies folder under %windir%\Security\Templates.

In the event log I am getting this error:
"Windows cannot read the history of GPOs from the registry. Continuing Group Policy Processing."

I've tried following a couple suggestions for fixing this but none have worked so far:

I'm trying to allow people to run some applications off of a mapped drive through a terminal session. Maybe there's a way to allow this in a more global fashion? Right now I'm trying to add the remote server to the "Site to Zone Assignment List" in this 2k3 server. It works until I reboot.

Thanks,
James

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back