Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Policy editor / group policy / poledit for Win 2K Professional

Status
Not open for further replies.

uji

MIS
Oct 4, 2000
MY
Hi ..i have installed Win2K professional to our staffs
We want to restrict users from accessing certain icon from the win2k Professional such as control panel or network neighbourhood/display control..etc....
is there such a way (software )that we can enforce the policy ?
Our Servers are winnt 4 OS.

Thanks

From run menu, type gpedit.msc. Under User Configuration, Administrative Templates, Desktop, enable "Hide all icons on desktop". However, the problem with this is that it applies to ALL users that logon. I'm joining this forum to see how to get around this, and have it apply only to specific users and/or groups.

Is there a way this policy can then be restricted to an individual user but across a number of machines?

Thanks,

Andrew

You can apply Group Policy if you have an Active Directory setup.

If you're running an NT4 domain you can set up policy on the server for particular user, group or machine in the domain (Policy editor in administrative tools - need to create/edit the file ntconfig.pol which lives in the folder which default sharename of netlogon - \WINNT\system32\Repl\Import\Scripts normally).

For those who have issues resticting access - that is, it applies to all users; we had a similar issue. We found a switch that exempted the local administrator from policies. That way, we can restrict add/remove software and such for everyone but a local admin. Hope this helps!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back