Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Policies folder in SYSVOL share adds a tag. TOUGH ONE!

Status
Not open for further replies.

loganking

MIS
May 5, 2002
US
Okay.. I had to restore the contents of the sysvol share. After I did this Group policy quit working with the error of "Failed to open the Group Policy Object. You may not have appropriate rights. Details: The system cannot find the path specified."

I did some digging and found out it had to do with the policies folder. which when I checked I had about 5 Policies folders with the tag of Policies_NTDFS_c2983923(random stuff) I deleted those and added the Policies folder from backup. When I did that group policy worked fine. BUT THEN after awhile it adds a tag of Policies_NTDS_cdlkdlk to the Polices folder(this is the folder in \\server\winnt\sysvol\sysvol\domain\) and group policy quits working...

anyone have any idea why its doing this? I've checked the folder permissions and everything looks the same. I've even checked it against our test domain.

Any answers would be very appreciated!

Correction the tag thats being added to the Polices folder is "Policies_NTFRS_cfa7a2f1"

Its readded when I delete the "_NTFRS_...." after about 5 or 10 minutes.

Files contained in the SYSVOL share are automatically replicated on the same schedule as the Active Directory replication. The NT File Replication Service (NTFRS) is responsible for replicating SYSVOL. That is why you keep getting those updates.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back