Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Polaroid BurMAX24 CD-RW compatability 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

grapeape

Technical User
Mar 26, 2002
CA
I have installed a new Burnmax cd-rw in a generic PC running win98 SE. It works fine as a cd-rom, but I am unable to find a utility that will recognize it as a compatable writer. Polaroid seems to be unaware that they even make a CD writer (at least from searching their website). Does anyone know if it is possible to have this drive recognized by a common burn utility (ie Nero, Easy CD)?

The drive should have come with NTS software. I just installed a burnmax 32 in my generic 98SE machine, and it works OK.

Hey!
I have the exact same problem.

I was on Win2000 and the NTI CD-Maker 2000 Plus software that came with it worked once and after that it continues to say that there is no disk inserted.

I tried another Win2000 machine, I tried upgrading the software, upgrading the Adaptec drivers, nothing has worked yet. I tried WinXP to see if it would work but it gives the same message.

Did switching to Roxio work for you?

I called Polaroid and was transferred from place to place until they told me I would have to call an outside number in California to get support.

Here's their standard email they sent. I've not had any luck in getting my burner to work at all.

====CONTENTS OF SUPPORT EMAIL====

Thank you for your patience; helping you to solve the problem you are experiencing is the most important thing to us. Please feel free to let me know, what I can do for you to give you the best service we can. We will continue to work with and give you the best technical support. Also please let us know if are links are helping you.

DIANE R. VERCELES
CUSTOMER SERVICE DEPT.
DFT, INC.
510-580-2478 EXT. 103
510-438-9941-FAX

eh my problem is that i can not get the os win 98se to recognize the buner at all....no sofatware came with it just the burner....it's bad when the os can not even pick up the burner i am not sure if the data cabel is put in backwards or not but i pretty sure it is not....any help as to why it is not being recognized plz

To ALL:

The maker of the Polaroid burners is DFT, INC. They're the ones to try & contact if Polaroid can't help.

Generally, with the problems you've described, it's a driver/firmware/software upgrade that's necessary. Sometimes from the peripheral maker, sometimes Microsoft (or your op. sys. mfg.).
It can also be caused by needing an upgrade in the version of the recording software (ie..EZCD, Nero, etc...).

Nearly never the hardware device. Use "Google" to search for more info.

Hope this is helpful for someone.

Just got a burnmax 24 [thumbsdown] .. tried to find DFT Inc on the web.. nogo.. ya have a url for them? i have nero 5.5 and am upgrading as i type.. same issue as above posts.. not seeing the cdrw as is.. and i get a funny.. "this is not a cd recordable" error when i try to burn. Its gets 2 to 3% in and then errors. fun aint it?.. btw im an officemax employee.. work electronics.. and im NOT going to recommend this drive to anyone now :)

I have a Polaroid BurnMax 32. I've been able to use RecordNowMax to burn CDs. Out of the box, the software didn't recognize the CD-RW but after a trip to the website to update the software it worked fine. ZDNet and a number of other websites say RecordNowMax is the best CD burning software out there. The website is BTW, the Windows system recognizes the CD-RW as CDWRITER IDE3212. Hope this helps.

Here is the site I came across I tried to Install mine the other day and have a bad unit so I have to return it. I was wondering does the unit support media larger then the 650mb like the box says.

Yes it will burn more than 650 MB.

I am having the same problem, however when I first installed the drive it recognized it and worked well.
I was burning a disk a week after installation and it suddenly stopped working. When I tried to burn a cd it would seem to work then right when it should start to burn it would eject the disk and a popup would appear saying: "failed to open file" I found this forum and went to the manuafacturer's site in their
faq section they list this problem and say to update your ASPI drivers. I downloaded the drivers and installed. Now when I start the program initially it says that I don't have a compatible device. So I rechecked the faq bulletin and saw that they recomended that if it didn't fix the problem to E-mail them. So I E-mailed them, the E-mail came back saying that the address was invalid. I have the most up to date NTI cd burner software. If anyone else has any other suggestions let me know. Otherwise I will have to call these people but I hate to because it is long distance for me. Has anyone else solved this problem in any other way than to buy a better piece of burning software? And does other burning software even work correctly with this drive?

Thanks
JJ

I have an odd problem with my burnmax 24. I just got it at OfficeMax today and it burns data from hdd just fine, but I can't get any type of CD to copy. I've tried two known good CDROM drives and two memory sticks and reloaded Win98 after each step. Using EZCD 5.3. Anyone else had this problem?

My polaroid Max24 CD-RW drive will copy picturesto a CD-RW, but it will not write to all CDs.Memorex disk The program says there is no disk.
When I try to write data to a CD-RW it will take the first set of information, when I go to write another it will errase the first,or will say must use new disk, (the disk is not even 1/16 full.

Hi!! im having the same kind of problems!My burnmax24x read original cd's just fine but to write a cd i have to enter the cd a lot of times until it recognizes it..... sometimes 20 or 30 times... other times when begining to read the cd it just freezes the whole pc.... i dont know if it is the media..(memorex) but i have tried to run copied cds from another manufacturers and it didnt works! i have tried updatins my aspui drivers.... and no success!! please help.. reply at rborrero@prtc.net

Also have installed a Polaroid BurnMax24 and have set it as Slave off an Ultra 66 Control Card. All other peripheries(?) are slaved off the main HD. My Computer shows all the drive correctly, but now whe I click on my CD/DVD-ROM, Zip Drive or the Burner I get a "(Drive letter):\ not accessible, the Device is not ready." Yet as long as I have a CD in any of them (Zip excluded) they seem to work fine. Any ideas whats missing in my configuration?

You guys scare me with the problems that you have been having with Polaroid BurnMAX24 CD-RW drives. I just bought a Polaroid BurnMAX24ex drive from Office Max for $60 after rebate. Should I keep it for my HP with Win98? I have until 8/11/02 to return it. Does anyone know where I can read a review of this drive.

I also bought the Polaroid BurnMAX24ex from officemax for $60...haven't had any problem with it yet, I run winME. But I would like to be able to use Roxio or something similiar (something inexpensive if possible) instead of the crummy software it comes with. Any suggestions?

I also bought a Polaroid BurnMax 24 External CDRW drive from OfficeMax for $79 after rebate. I loaded the NTI-CD Maker 2000 Plus in to my computer, It works ok to make a data cd, but can't burn a copy of CD. I upgraded the software to Roxio EZCD 5.01, it solved the problem for 2 wks. It suddenly stopped on copy CD. I already wasted 10 CD to test the drive, and finally make it works. I put the Source and Destination to the same drive (CDRW drive) only when I make a backup CD. It is slower than the internal CDRW drive, but at least works. Hope this help someone has the same problem.

I JUST PURCHASED A BURNMAX24 IT SEEMS TO WORK OK BUT I CAN'T GET IT TO PLAY MUSIC CD'S I HAVE WINDOWS MEDIA PLAYER AND THE REAL PLAYER MEDIA IS ANYONE ELSE HAVING THIS PROBLEM IT WILL DO EVERYTHING BUT PLAY A ELSE. I GET A MESSAGE THAT SAYS IT IS NOT SUPPORTED.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back