Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Pointers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dena

Programmer
Apr 18, 2000
US
Hi, all... I'm a student taking my first C++ class.&nbsp;&nbsp;The semester's almost over & I've <br>written a complex program (well, complex to me!) that is giving me some headaches.&nbsp;&nbsp;<br><br>The following code is a -very- simplified version of a portion of my program code that is giving me the same error.&nbsp;&nbsp;I'm passing char strings (two-dimensional) by pointer, but C++ doesn't like how I've done it... <br><br>I also get an error when I use (strcpy). Am I supposed to use [] or row/column info when in a strcpy command? I've tried it with & without in several different ways, but no luck.&nbsp;&nbsp;The error reads something like &quot;cannot convert char * to const char *&quot;... What I'm trying to do is alphabetically sort by bubble sort.<br><br>please help me understand why this simple little code isn't working... thanks!!<br><br>&nbsp;void Trial(int *);&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;<br><br>&nbsp;void main(void)<br>&nbsp;{ int x = 36;<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Trial(x);&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;<br>&nbsp;} <br><br>&nbsp;void Trial(int *y)<br>&nbsp;{ cout &lt;&lt; y &lt;&lt; endl;<br>&nbsp;}<br><br><br>ERROR:<br>error C2664: 'Trial' : cannot convert parameter 1 from 'int' to 'int *'. <br>Conversion from integral type to pointer type requires reinterpret_cast, C-style cast or function-style cast.

<br>When you say that the parameter is a pointer, then you are supposed to pass the address of the same type. For eg. I 've changed the code, please test and let me know whether it worked or not.<br><br>void Trial(int *);&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;<br><br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;void main(void)<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;{ int x = 36;<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Trial(&x);&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;// I made change ,prefix &<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;} <br><br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;void Trial(int *y)<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;{ cout &lt;&lt; y &lt;&lt; endl;<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;}<br><br>Thanx<br>Siddhartha Singh<br><A HREF="mailto:ssingh@aztecsoft.com">ssingh@aztecsoft.com</A>

#include&lt;iostream.h&gt;<br><br>void Trial(int *y); <br>void main()<br>&nbsp;{ <br>&nbsp;&nbsp;int x = 36;<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;Trial(&x);&nbsp;&nbsp;// pass the address of x<br>&nbsp;} <br><br>void Trial(int *y)<br>&nbsp;{ <br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;cout &lt;&lt; *y &lt;&lt; endl; // print the value of y. Is that what you want?<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;// cout &lt;&lt; y &lt;&lt; endl; will print out the address of y<br>&nbsp;}

Just incase you didnt catch what they mean<br>a pointer does nothing more than point to the address of a location in memory, and the pointer type lets the compiler know how to interpret the memory pointed to, the Amperstand & stands for &quot;Address of&quot; when the function is expecting a pointer, it makes its local copy of pointer variable *y , which is pointing to the &quot;address of&quot; X, not the Value of X.<br><br>also the function prototype has to appear exactly the same as the function definition(except in optional parameters)<br><br>the last two was right, I'm just offering an in english explanation. <p>Karl<br><a href=mailto:kb244@kb244.8m.com>kb244@kb244.8m.com</a><br><a href= </a><br>Experienced in , or have messed with : VC++, Borland C++ Builder, VJ++6(starting),VB-Dos, VB1 thru VB6, Delphi 3 pro, Borland C++ 3(DOS), Borland C++ 4.5, HTML, ASP(somewhat), QBasic(least i didnt start with COBOL)

Thanks, Karl... That's exactly what I needed... <br>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back