Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Pointers on BDS 2006? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

buho

Programmer
Jan 31, 2004
Hellow, guys!

Please, I need to ask a favor: can anyone post some pointers on BDS 2006? Bugs, compatibility issues, informed opinions, etc?

TIA.
buho (A).

PS: Nice to see most of you are still here!

I use 2006 as main development platform since about 2 years.
after update2 + the hotfix rollup, it is a stable platform.
I turned Error insight off because it was annoying me.
About the compability issues, from what version are you upgrading? I ran all delphi versions and the biggest leap was between D5 and D6. from there on I could keep all my favorite components till now.

Cheers,
Daddy

-----------------------------------------------------
What You See Is What You Get
Never underestimate tha powah of tha google!

I've been running Turbo Delphi 2006 (off and on) and don't notice any significant problems in it. The biggest problems I do run into are the load time (due to the editor being .NET based), and the interface being so cluttered.

I still tend to run Delphi 3 primarily because of the first one - that and the before mentioned code leaps. Being a hobbyist programmer in this realm, I'm still working on migrating my old stuff to Delphi 3, much less another migration. I'd rather work on something that excites me than maintenance drudgery if I can help it.

TYVM guys.

The upgrade is mainly from D6.

Any changes in the packed records, fixed arrays of char/byte or string[n]? I heavily relay on them.

The new VCL components support XP themes?

buho (A).

this very informative link on codegear explains the changes between D7 and D2007:

about your questions:

no changes on the items you mentioned.
XP theme support can be enabled when adding the XPMan unit to your uses list, which will create a manifest resource (there is also a component for this).

Cheers,
Daddy

-----------------------------------------------------
What You See Is What You Get
Never underestimate tha powah of tha google!

Stars for you both, Glenn and Daddy.

Thanks a lot.
buho (A).

I upgraded from Delphi 6 to 2007, kind a quantum leap looking at visual stuff on the screen, but I am getting familiar...

My first battle was with converting some of my excel programs

when referencing to an Excel cell
Code:
 Range['B1', 'C1'].Value := VarrArrayOf( etc..
I got an error, it took me a while [hairpull] to find that it has changed to:

Range['B1', 'C1'].Value2 := etc..

Steven

I'm on BDS2006 but I still have projects on D6 (older components that don't have upgrades). I use the Delphi Speed Up patch so it loads in about 30s. GExperts and Jedi both support it as well as DevExpress.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back