Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

point-to-point ds3 config

Status
Not open for further replies.

smikes19

MIS
Oct 18, 2001
US
I've got a point-to-point clear channel DS3 circuit running between two 7120 routers, and its giving me grief:

- with "framing bypass", the serial int is up/up, but it won't pass any traffic
- with "framing c-bit", the serial int constantly flaps. If I ping, a few packets will get through every few seconds.

Some things I know about the circuit:
- clear channel
- unchannelized
- Adtran CSU on one end, not sure about the other
- supposedly the LEC is providing the clock source, but not 100% sure

Here is my Serial config for one side:

interface Serial1/0
ip address 192.168.168.1 255.255.255.0
no keepalive
framing bypass
cablelength 75
dsu bandwidth 44210
clock source internal
serial restart-delay 0

and the other:

interface Serial1/0
ip address 192.168.168.2 255.255.255.0
no keepalive
framing bypass
cablelength 200
dsu bandwidth 44210
serial restart-delay 0

I'd appreciate any help!!!

I'm wondering if this is a cable problem. loopback local and loopback dte both work ok on both ends, but a "loopback network line" fails from both ends. What does this mean exactly? Is the wiring to the NIU at least good?

whats the name of the circuit provider ? do you have backup ISDN ? since you are using Adtran..

Its through XO communications. No backup ISDN. Actually the 7120 goes to an Adtran NIU3 which then connects to a Nortel Metro fiber mux.

Are you useing scrambling on this DS3 link? I had a simular issue on a DS3 link between two Adtran CSUs and the problem was long strings of 1's and 0's causing a loss of clocking. As soon as we turned on scrambling the link flapping problem cleared up.

Good Luck,

Googer

If I enable scrambling on both ends, neither comes up/up...

Looking at the config for our DS3, the only difference I see is the lack of "encapsulation ppp". Not too sure if that helps but I thought I'd throw it out there... Good Luck!

interface Serial6/0
description DS3
bandwidth 3000
ip address 12x.xxx.xxx.xxx 255.255.255.252
encapsulation ppp
no ip route-cache cef
framing c-bit
cablelength 50
dsu bandwidth 44210
serial restart-delay 0

Thanks, but it turns out that our Serial interface was bad, even though a hard-loopback test works fine. We swapped it out, and with no changes to the config, everything started working beautifully.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back