Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Point Open File Window to a specific directory 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

prismtx

IS-IT--Management
Apr 9, 2001
US
I have an Excel macro that runs when a spreadsheet opens and I want it to give an open file message box that is pointing to a network drive where some csv files are stored. My problem is that the open box defaults to the last folder opened and I have not been able to change it to the network drive.

Here is what I have tried, but none are working:

Code:
 ChDir "//Hmm04\Shared\CSV\Daily Reports"
Filename = Application.GetOpenFilename("CSV Files (*.csv), *.csv")
Code:
InitDir = "//Hmm04\Shared\CSV\Daily Reports"
Code:
ChDrive "//Hmm04\Shared"
ChDir "//Hmm04\Shared\CSV\Daily Reports"

How can I get the Open file dialog to point to the network directtory?

have you tried
ChDir "\\Hmm04\Shared\CSV\Daily Reports

Yes I tried ChDir "\\Hmm04\Shared\CSV\Daily Reports" [\b] and got the same results.

I have the network drive mapped to the letter "G" and can get it to work this way:
Code:
ChDir "G"
ChDir "CSV\Daily Reports"[\code]

But i don't know what the users will have the drive mapped to, or if they will even have it mapped.

Is there a way to make the network drive the current drive or directory without having it mapped to a letter?

Sorry, I hit submit instead of preview. This is easier to read:

Yes I tried ChDir "\\Hmm04\Shared\CSV\Daily Reports" and got the same results.

I have the network drive mapped to the letter "G" and can get it to work this way:
Code:
ChDir "G"
ChDir "CSV\Daily Reports"

But i don't know what the users will have the drive mapped to, or if they will even have it mapped.

Is there a way to make the network drive the current drive or directory without having it mapped to a letter?

Try direct addressing

Code:
ChDir "\\123.45.67.890\shareName"
Filename = Application.GetOpenFilename("CSV Files (*.xls)")
MsgBox Filename

I tried the ChDir "\\123.45.67.890\shareName" as you suggested, but the open file box still defaulted to the last directory that I had used.

ChDir "\\123.45.67.890\shareName" should solve that problem

you may still need to point to the correct folder

ChDir "CSV\Daily Reports"

I know that the ChDir should work, but for some reason it isn't. I have tried ChDir "\\123.45.10.66\shared\CSV" and ChDir "\\hmm04\shared\CSV" but although it does not give any error, it still is opening to a directory on my C: drive.

Its a 'feature' (spell "bug") in the way VB/A handles "CurDir". From distant memory, I remember solving it by using an API call to set the 'current' directory before making the Common Dialog call. Sorry that I dont remember the specific API ca;;, but I rememember I didnt have to hunt far to find it....

You may use an API call:
Code:
Private Declare Function SetCurrentDirectory Lib "kernel32" Alias "SetCurrentDirectoryA" (ByVal lpPathName As String) As Long
SetCurrentDirectory "\\Hmm04\Shared\CSV\Daily Reports"

Hope This Helps, PH.
FAQ219-2884
FAQ181-2886

I was out for a few days, but just got back and tried PHV's solution. Worked like a charm! Problem solved. Thanks for the insight.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back