Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Point of Sale - Use of Open Standards 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

koala15

Programmer
May 9, 2001
AU
I am writing a POS app that needs to be device (printer, cash drawer etc) independant.

There is a standard object model called "OPOS" that seems to have all the objects I need and even has examples in VB6.

However, the standards people don't actually provide the SDK, just the documentation. The standards web site says to get the SDK from HW manufactures. I have done that (eg Star Micronics) and it seems OK (I have not run it yet) but I need the SDK to work with nearly anyones HW.

Comments and suggestions please.

Thanks in advance.

Greg.

"Life is full of learning, and then there is wisdom"

Did you checked out Here you'll find them Common Control Objects, which will enable you to code vendor independent.
So what you get is:
application <-> CCO's <-> Service Object
and the only thing to worry about is the interface between your application and the CCO's

Using them CCO's, you're done. I have customers using Epson, Star, Citizen, IBM, Ithaca peripherals without any problems (well, apart from my own bugs..)

Diederik

Diederik,

I will check this out tomorrow BUT a star to you with thanks.

Greg

&quot;Life is full of learning, and then there is wisdom&quot;

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back