Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

point-in-time recovery good? bad?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bperry

Programmer
Jul 27, 2001
CA
<warning alert=&quot;This is a loooong question&quot;>

I would be interested in comments from readers who are using, or have tried to use, point-in-time recovery. I have not used it in my environment, and am having trouble seeing how it could be made to work in a large, busy database.

i.e. Let's say I've got a large, integrated inventory - purchasing system. I've got clerks in different departments entering requisitions, tenders, quotes, purchase orders, receipts, warehouse orders, material issues, returns-to-shelf, returns-to-vendor, stock-count adjustments, employee purchases-from-stock, price adjustments, on and on and on.

In this case the users entering all these transactions into the database are working from different sites 50 miles apart.

So, if I wanted to restore to, say, 1:44pm this afternoon (or yesterday afternoon), how could I figure out which of all of these transactions had been entered precisely before or after 1:44? How would I contact all the people involved and ask them to figure out where they were at that exact point in time?

In other words, it sounds almost unworkable to me. Have I got that wrong? Can point-in-time actually be practical in a busy (but not abnormally busy) environment like this? Or, as I suspect, do people not bother with it?

Any comments much appreciated.

</warning>

bperry

im not going to write an essay :) but i persoanlly get a business descsion around this as i personallyback the tranasctions ever 25 mins

Rishi (MCSD,MCDBA,MCP)

I back up the Tansaction log every hour. It depends... If you want to be able to restore to the 15 min. mark... then you'll need to back up the Transaction log every 15min., I guess. What do you have it set to now?

If you are going to restore to a particular period of time, usually it is just after that period of time that something has gone horribly wrong... so you make announcements and make sure no one else is using the DB and then get started.

Unless you have some sort of Log reader software that can look into the Transaction log, I don't think you can distinguish what happened when....

Is there a problem with the data - corupt, etc? - that you need to restore the DB from an older back-up? There could be other ways to deal eith that, or to try first.

I'm not totally sure what you asking, so I hope I answered well enough.HTH BeckahC
[noevil]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back