Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

POE switch

Status
Not open for further replies.

rcoleman65

IS-IT--Management
Jun 13, 2003
US
Do you use a POE switch for your IP phones. If so, what brand and make?

Thanks

poe switches are good if you have more then a hand full of ip sets. i think any poe switch that supports 802.3af will work. Avaya sells a 1152a1 midspan power switch in 6,12, and 24 port modules

You need to be careful and read the specs. I have found some that do not put out enough watts to power the 4600 IP phones.

I went with Powerdsine which is kind of high end but can be reasonable on ebay and they put out a lot of power.

Clay

Generally the reason why it doesn't put out enough power per port is due to the switch not being 802.3af compliant or not having Class 3 POE capability.

However I do agree with jconrad0305 if its only a hand full of phones your better (and cheaper) to purchase either a single port inline POE adapter or a midspan.

Some models that I have personally used in the past would be an Extreme Summit 300 Series, or Cisco Catalyst 3560

Hope this helps.

Dave

You are correct. All I have is a handful of phones. I will stick with the bricks.

Thanks,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back