Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PoE Switch Recommendations 10

Status
Not open for further replies.

franke

Instructor
May 16, 2002
US
Hi all,
I'm told Avaya will be discontinuing it's Cajun PoE switches around June. Any recommendations as to a suitable replacement that works well with the IPO? My customer is looking for 96 ports.

Thanks aS always for your insight.

Avaya will replace them with extreme but any poe switch can be used if it uses the right protocol

ACA - Implement IP Office
ACS - Implement IP Office
ACA - Voice Services Management

we sell and use a lot of extreme and it is a great product. our data techs say they are great for the money.

Kevin Wing
ACA- Implement IP Office
Carousel Industries

We use cisco 3750 POE switches, work fine but they can get expensive.

use a Cisco 3750/3560 poe they are the most used switches voor voip.... And more importand almost everybody knows how to program these cisco switches.

Greets Peter

Thanks all for the responses, sounds as if cisco & extreme are the two I need to investigate further...a star for everyone :)

I personally prefer the Extreme Networks switches to the Cisco. Cisco is good too but I found the configuration easier with the Extremes. Also with Extremes Epicenter software you can communicate with the IP Office. If you are only needing 10/100 look at the Summit X250e-24p or -48p, its new XOS and web management are pretty slick.

Cheers

I've had good luck with the Dell POE switches. The Dell 3448P (48 ports) and 3424P (24 ports) have enterprise-call management features and optional redundant power supplies. The have high density (48 ports in 1U) and are very attractively priced. The do all the necessary QOS stuff.

We have a Zyxel in our office and never caused any problems. Has POE, a couple of GigaBit ports, VLAN's for less than £400.

I have a customer running 60+ IP Phones on Linksys without trouble.

Jamie Green

ACA:Implement - IP Office
ACS:Implement - IP Office

Fooball is not a matter of life and death-It is far more important!!!!

franke,

Do your research before you buy a POE switch. A lot of the lower end switches don't have large enough power supplies to supply a full 15.4 watts over ALL ports. Most only come with 180 - 185 watt power supplies.

Take for example a Linksys SFE2000P switch. It has a 185 watt power supply and 24 ports. If you were to plug in 15.4 watt POE devices, you would be maxed out at 12 devices. You would be much better served with 3COM's 3CRUS2475 (Unified Gigabit Wireless Switch) which has 24 ports and a power supply large enough to deliver a full 15.4 watts per port.

We've used 3Com's on a number of sites and they've served us well with POE, VLANs, fibre uplinks, Layer 3 switching etc. They're expensive but they do the job really well.

The main ones we use are the 4500 series.

And here I thought I only had to read up on two...guess I was wrong. Thanks DavidCT for the info on the power supplies, something I had not considered but probably should have been the first thing.

Thanks to all and will base my research on:
1- Power rating
2- Ease of installation/programming
3- Product/Tech support
4- Availabilty
5- Cost

Although with you folks, I could probably not worry about #3.

franke

flipping eck, some stars going on here, can i have one?

Ive got nothing of any use to throw in the ring but can i have one anyway?

ACE - Avaya Certified Expert
ACI - Avaya Certified Instructor

There you go..... Just for not being around lately

Kevin Wing
ACA- Implement IP Office
Carousel Industries

We use either 3 com or HP Procurve. Procurves are great as if they die they are covered for life and you will have a new one on the door step next day.

We have used some cheap Netgears for Powering IP Dect via POE again with sucess.

ACA - IP Office Implement
ACA - IP Telephony
CCENT - Cisco ICND1
CCNA - Working towards.

Adtran POE switches work well, have a good warranty and are almost identical to configuring a Cisco switch.

Procurves fall on their faces under a heavy network load.

Procurves fall on their faces under a heavy network load

Never saw that happen

ACA - Implement IP Office
ACS - Implement IP Office
ACA - Voice Services Management

I've installed some of the latest 3Com 42xx series switches,
They work fine VLAN's minigbic's PoE(adjustable) and much more.

The best of all the are extremely cheap!!

Greetzzz..Bas

y1pzZTEUdok1vrI5cLb3FdPX4PgTPlSONkb5WPjz0x50etSujaMSmhdRCbOx9vASnrRNzzXv0IxNQA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back