Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Pocket access (DB Anywhere) forms

Status
Not open for further replies.

masadeebo

Programmer
Jan 24, 2003
PK
I have two tables table1 with fields (name,date of birth,address,postcode) and table2(name,date of birth,address,postcode,time,reason,etc). Table1 is set to read only as i only need to retrive some values from it. table2 is empty and set to full access for editing, add new records, etc

I am able to select a record from table1 using SQL statement, the problem i am having is that i dont know the statement i should use to load this record onto table2.

By the way i am using DB anywhere, any help will be much appreciated

I think you would need to use an update query to go from table 2 to table 1. Since table 1 is read only, you seem to be defeating its purpose and most likely isn't udateable. However, I am not sure why you need 2 identical tables. If all you want to do is add/edit etc. a record I am not sure what the advantage is of the 2 tables. How do records get into table 1 if it is read only?

Table1 is table consisting of all the postal adress in the country, i need it to associate address to table2 which has
all the feilds of table1 plus more, i hope this is claer now

Your explanation of table1 is much different than originally mentioned

"I have two tables table1 with fields (name,date of birth,address,postcode)".

Your address fields in table2 must be identical to those in table1. On your form, which should be off table1 of a query of table1,create a list box with the wizzard, and reference table1 as the source. When you choose, from the drop down list, the address etc and save the record, that which you droped down will be saved in table2.

What I have indicated, which is very basic, should work. Depending on how many fields you have etc, will determine how you want it laid out.

Good Luck

Maurie An investment in knowledge always pays the best dividends.

by Benjamin Franklin

thanks mph1, but can you please illustrate by a an example, and how do you create a list box using a wizard

thanking you in advance

To create a list box, open the form in desing view then from the toolbar (above) click on combo box and create in form. Make sure the wizzard is active. The control wizzard is a wand. Run you mouse over it and it should say control wizzard. Make sure it is depressed. For me, without actually seeing what you have, it is difficult to explain exactly what to do. I don't know how many paramaters are involved. Go to help and look up List Box. That will give you a good idea on how to create a list box.

Good Luck,

Maurie

P.S. In your best interest, do NOT send anyone a copy of your data base that contains any proprietary information. Also, do your work from a back up copy. An investment in knowledge always pays the best dividends.

by Benjamin Franklin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back