Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PNY nVidia GeForce 6 update driver problems display problems HELP!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

deanos63

Technical User
Jun 23, 2005
GB
hi,

i have just brought a PNY Verto graphics card, it is a nVidia GeForce 6.

I have 2 problems,
1. My display appears garbled and the icons and start menu are all over the place, my desktop is scrambled as well.

2. I have attempted to download an updated driver for the card, but during the installation it comes up with this
error! The NVIDIA setup program could not locate any drivers that are compatible with your current hardware. setup will now exit

I have seen a few other people with this problem and i have read something about a modified nVidia fINF. file, but it is not clear where or how this can be found!

can someone please help me, i'm in a desperate state of mind!
my PC is under a year old.
PLEASE HELP!! I'm BEGGING!!!

deanos63
Display appears garbled!! and this with generic XP drivers?
I'm afraid this isn't good and sounds like a bad graphics card.
Martin

We like members to GIVE and not just TAKE.
Participate and help others.

ijust updated the driver to 77.72 and it hassorted out the garbled display. BUT a couple of icons are still a bit funny, and now my compter crashes every time i watch a video or something in windows media player.

ok i made a post on tektips about this a while ago called 'Driver issues with PNY geforce 6200 ' if you want to go see that for the full thread... but this was the last comment i made bout it..

yeah i found a solution eventually, i meant to post it but forgot. I contacted PNY the maker of my card who explained to me that my card(PNY Geforce 6200 AGP), while listed as compatible with Nvidia's drivers (71.89) is not yet compatible with those drivers.

as they put it..

'The singularity is that the GeForce 6200 is not mentioned in the global version nowadays, well, it is, but the card we sell has an ID which is not logged in it.'

he said the drivers i need for the card are geforce 6 specific drivers (NVidia ones, they just dont put them on thier own site.... for reasons he didnt mention)

the compatible drivers are The 76.44 version (came on cd for me) and the newer but beta 77.50 (which work better for me) drivers.

he said the drivers would eventually be included into the regular forceware drivers offered by Nvidia on thier site, infact i checked just now and it seems theres a new version out just 2 days ago 77.72, it mentions in the release highlights Support for GeForce 6200 AGP. I havnt tried them yet, but that may solve the problem... hope that helps anybody

i have tried all the drivers, i think i may have sussed it, i only had a 250w max power supply and this is the minumum the card needs to run so i'm in the process of puttin in a 400w power supply to see if that sorts out the crashing problem when a video begins to play. i will also update my bios, but the PC itself is under 1 year old so i shouldn't think my bios is that out of date, and i will also included an extra fan to make sure its not overheating.

thanks for the help anyway, i will let you know how it goes.

oh right, sorry never seen your second post deanos...

i had the same problem as you are having with the icons and the computer crashing when viewing any videos in media player or windvd or any other player for that matter...i jsut updated my motherboard drivers and then installed the new nvidia drivers and it sorted itself out... updating my motherboard drivers also improved the graphics card quite a bit, it now gets aquamark scores of 23 000, where before it would only get 18000... hope that helps

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back