Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PMS LINK FAILURE Opt.11C

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rudh

Technical User
Aug 26, 2004
US
Working on Option 11 with Hospitality. When the PMS trasmits info. of checked in guest. The link from the PMS to Mail goes down. Then seconds later comes back up. I have tryed changing out TTY. Connections reterminated. Hotel PMS support says my equipment. I have rebooted voicemail and PMS has rebooted their equipment. Still no change. Problem the same. Any other steps I need to do???

hello rudh if you go into voicemail tools and use link moniter to watch when a ACK is being sent and where trouble may be coming from.

i had a similiar trouble and the pms software had a compabilty issue.

How close is the PMS system to Mail? How long is the cable?

Also see if the tty is working off a SDI card. If so move to one of the Core ports (tty0, tty1, tty2). I have seen problems with the SDU cards with PMS.

TWM

Sorry not to respond quickly. I have this on TTY#2 and the connection is about 75 feet away from the phone voicemail system. It has a short haul modem interconnected to cover the TTY distance. I changed that out with a replacement. I also tryed the ACK and its not recieving from PMS. I talked to my other coworkers who have been to this site before, because link going down. They rebooted the voicemail and they were back in business. I did that multiple times and still no go. They also sent another tech to site and he had no luck. Do you suggest maybe replace voicemail card in Option 11? I also found out from Hotel using GAC Terminal to manual check in guest doesn't turn on phone service for the guestroom. Maybe a sysload also?

One thing you can do is turn on monitoring in LD 37.
.ENL MSGI
.ENL MSGO

This will let you see the messages sent between the PBX and the PMS. You might see some compatibility issues.
The problem could be with the RSM breakout assembly that is installed underneath the mail on the J10 connector. I have had one go bad before.

Steamer

If you are tracking the messaging going back and forth from Meridian Mail to the PMS, do you see that the PMS is sending multiple messages to the Mail? This was touched on earlier, but if the PMS system doesn't see an ACK coming back from the Mail, it will resend maybe a total of 3 times before giving up. I have seen the RSM utility card go bad before. On the other hand, I have seen the port at the PMS side to bad, but that should not affect the GAC terminal.

What PMS software is it? If it's a MARRIOTT property, I might be able to help.

RSM utility card woild be my 1st thought, i would connect my laptop up at the switch, bypassing shorthauls and copper. it could be the mail card, but that would surprise me, have you tested the new short hauls, they seem prone to failure.. just my experience

john poole
bellsouth business
columbia,sc

If the above suggestions have not helped yet.

1. Try removing the short haul modem. I understand that RS232 is only "supported" at 50 feet, but it will typically go much further without problems. 75 feet isn't that far, especially at the speed the Meridian talks. If that doesn't change it....

2. Stick a datascope in between your connections to watch the transactions. The datascope will show you exactly what is transpiring beween the two. After several attempts, you may be able to determine whatr is triggering the problem, if it is data related. If you don't have access to a datascope, look up on the internet on how to make a simple one with a PC that has 2 RS232 ports.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back