Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PMac7200 won't start, please help

Status
Not open for further replies.

engineerio

Technical User
May 2, 2003
US
I have a power mac 7200/120 and it has served me well for many years. Now all of the sudden it simply will not turn on. There is power, everything is plugged in. What's the deal??? This really hurts, its like a faithful old Toyota that never had a problem just decide not to start one day. There has to be a simple answer... If you have a suggestion please post it! And include details, I don't look under the hood very often... :)

THANK YOU!

Paul

Do you get a SAD mac face on startup? Do you get ANY video at all? Does it make the "Ding" sound? Answering these may help diagnose whats going on. Also, if still nothing, your power supply might've went. There are some hardware-wise things you could check (like reseating the memory and such), but I'd hold off doing those until you can answer the above, then I'd be glad to repost.

-Matt-

No power. No ding. No noise. No sad face. No nothing.

Paul

well, theres a good chance that your power supply went. if you have a spare, or can get one from ebay or something, i'd try that. you could also remove any cards that may be installed (modems, network cards, etc...) just to make sure one of those did not go bad. Also, I wouldtry reseating the memory and anything else (processor? hard drive cables, power cables, etc..).

Finally, you could try to remove the battery, and after 60 seconds, put it back in, and see what happens.

let me know what happens, you've got me curious now.

I have seen may 7200s and 7500s that have been non-starters because of a dead logic board battery. Definateky worth checking

I'd support the advice to test the battery.

My interest is reviving older Macs that other folks have discarded and in lots of cases replacing the battery will restore the machine to life.

Some won't start at all while some others (a Performa 5300 for one) start up but don't deliver video. The Performa 5300 is an 'all-in-one' machine but I've had the same behaviour with machines using a separate monitor.

Your first posting was some time ago; what progress have you made?

Pete W.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back