Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PM7 Won't Recognize PPDs

Status
Not open for further replies.

SWilent

Technical User
Sep 21, 2002
US
Upgraded to PageMaker 7.0 6 months ago, and it worked fairly well. Recently, when trying to print to the same PostScript printer I've been using all along, PM7 says it can't find the PPD, or any PPDs, even though the PPDs are installed.

Any ideas?

SWilent

PPD's for Pagemaker go in: (YOUR DRIVE):\Program Files\Adobe\PageMaker 7.0\RSRC\(YOUR LANGUAGE)\PPD4

Are you sure that's where your PPD is located?

Yes, that's where the PPDs are.

I'm having a number of other problems with PM7:

* TIFFs in existing PM7 pubs appear as gray boxes, and I get an error when I try to place a TIFF -- but EPSs and JPEGs place OK.

* PM7 is SLOW and eventually crashes -- sometime sit instantly disappears, without any sort of warning. It crashes when I do a diagnostic recompose.

This is on a WinXP machine, plenty of memory/disk space. I have uninstalled PM7, deleted the relevant directories, and reinstalled, to no avail. All other apps work fine and can place/print TIFFs to my PostScript printer.

SWilent

Fresh out of ideas here I'm afraid. I can't help you with the OS as I use PM7 in Win 98. There is a patch (7.01) on the Adobe website which may help.

Regarding the grey boxes, I am sure you have checked that in your prefs, you have selected 'standard' or whatever the default is called for the graphics display. Are you sure you didn't compress the TIFs when saving them in whatever program you created them? Do they print OK? Perhaps if no-one else can suggest anything, you could try the Adobe user to user forums?

Thanks, Eggles. Yes, it is perplexing. I did try taking a PM7 pub to another machine, and the problems I mentioned didn;t occur.

Well, when all else fails, I blame everything on Bill Gates <grin>....

Steve

Folks, I've solved -- apparently -- all of the problems I listed in the previous messages. The problem was not PageMaker, it was Windows XP.

I was so frustrated after two days of trying to resolve this, that I resorted to reformatting and reinstalling a clean copy of XP (after backing up my data files, of course). The XP installation program reported that the previous copy of XP was &quot;damaged.&quot; How, why, where... who knows? But I'm back up and running.

And two days closer to my deadline. (I publish a small-town newspaper.)

I should have known it was all Bill Gates' fault.

Anyone for a class-action lawsuit?

SWilent

So pleased to hear you got it resolved - and in just the nick of time too! But if it was the OS that was faulty - it is odd that PM was the only program affected...

Well, Word 2002 may have been affected also. It crashed ofter since I first used it 6 months ago. I installed Office 97, since I like that version of Word.

In any case, it ALWAYS the computer -- I NEVER do anything wrong....

SW

Adobe has some info concerning PM and XP. PM requires admin or power user privleges to operate properly on XP. Install it as the usert hat will be using it, with user having admin rights, then change to power user after install. When in doubt, deny all terms and defnitions.

I was and am a &quot;Computer administrator&quot; -- Win XP Home has no Power User level.

One thing that mat be a factor: Even with a clean install of Win XP, I noted some trouble with printing after installing my scanner. Maybe that is causing some conflict....

SWilent

I didn't say &quot;power user level&quot; but power user privileges.. which is the right to write to the registry... I never fooled with XP Home, but understand there are differences between Home and Pro... actually I refuse to have XP on any PC that I own because I don't feel like giving Bill Gates Carte Blanche to change/peak/corrupt my OS and what is on my system without my express knowledge and permission ... but that is another rant altogether... in short you need to have admin rights to use PM on XP as the link I gave explains, I apologise if my terminology was confusing.... I think the 7.01 update addresses some of the issues... if this is a home computer then you probably are running with admin rights, so the point is moot... When in doubt, deny all terms and defnitions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back