Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PM7.01 crashs when exporting to Adobe PDF

Status
Not open for further replies.

IC04

Technical User
Dec 1, 2003
US
I have 16 pages of a magazine that has to be convertd to PDF so my printer can print 5000 copies But when I go to export it pagemaker locks up after the PDF box is displayed, I do have a full version of acrobat 5.0 with Distiller. How do I convert to PDF?

Hi, IC04,

Not a lot to go on there, not even which version of Windows you're using. There's no error message? The system locks or PM closes completely?

I assume you have installed and are actually using Distiller 5.

Start here:
PageMaker - PDF Issues

Also:
Troubleshooting Export… Adobe PDF…

Iechyd da! John
Glannau Mersi, Lloegr.

Hi BigJohnD,

I am using windows XP pro, There was no error message at all except that windows was closing down, when I
Installed Acrobat 5.0 I made sure I did a custom install and chequed off distiller, I just checked it has the post script printer 3011.104

Hi, IC04,

The minor update to PM7.0.1a should cure it:

PageMaker 7.0.1a update - English
Issues that are addressed in this update include:

Compatibility
PageMaker 7.0.1a addresses compatibility issues with Adobe Acrobat® 5.0, Acrobat 6.0 Standard, and Acrobat 6.0 Professional.

Here's the link:
(5Mb download)

Iechyd da! John
Glannau Mersi, Lloegr.

Hi BigJohnD,
Thanks for the input, I tried that up date 7.01a and when I tried to export to Adobe PDF
PDF options screen came up
Distiller settings
Job Name Screen screen
Printer
Style Acrobat
then I pressed EXPORT

then the
Export PFD as screen came up
I typed an Eight char prefix followed by .PDF
then Saving PS output failed and could'nt print to PS file
PPPLLEEAASSEE help me
thanks IC04

hi BigJohnD,
I forgot to tell you that initially I had 16 pages of text and graphics but I reduced it to one(1) page and it still will not save to a PS file. Oh, yes prior to reducing the number of pages it would just crash. Could there be something wrong with my copy? of pagemaker

regards
IC04

Hi, IC04,

Seems to me you now need to examine your document.

Have you followed everything listed below?

[ol]
[li]Your compose to printer is "Acrobat Distiller" ( or a variation);[/li]
[li]You are only using *.PSD, *.TIF or *.EPS graphic formats - there are no metafiles, *JPG or *.GIF;[/li]
[li]You have not used Insert Object or Paste Special (e.g. WordArt, Excel Chart);[/li]
[li]You have used not Copy and Paste to import a graphic into PM: you have used only File -> Place;[/li]
[li]Your PM file or linked graphics are all on a local drive(i.e. not on a file server nor on removable media (e.g. CD-ROM)). [/li]
[li]Your "Acrobat" Style is correct (if in doubt, delete it - PM will recreate it) [/li]
[li]You have not used a character in your path/filename which Distiller objects to, for instance a space or comma. The failsafe route is the old DOS 8.3 format - e.g. C:\pdfs\myfile.pdf. [/li]
[li]Finally, have your tried the two stage process - create the PS file, and then load up Distiller to convert it to a PDF?[/li][/ol]

Iechyd da! John
Glannau Mersi, Lloegr.

I would suggest that if you don't have time to mess with this right now that you try John's last suggestion.

Instead of using "Export", use "Print" and select Acrobat distiller as the printer.

This will create a .ps file.

Next use Distiller to convert the .ps files to a PDF.

I have had this work when I was having a variety of problems with PDFs from PageMaker.

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back