Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PM won't open 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Malinda

Technical User
Aug 18, 2001
US
When I attempt to open PM.6.5, I get a message saying; Cannot start PageMaker, unable to load icon DLL for this screen. Does anyone have an idea what causes this or how I can fix it. I have tried uninstalling PM and re-installing. No luck.

Malinda..
The most likely culptit is too many fonts installed on your computer.

Never have more than 100 fonts installed on a Windows system at any time. Excessive fonts will cause PM to crash while opening, as well as various and sundry other problems. Use a font management program such as Adobe ATM deluxe, available for around US $99, or Bitstream Font Navigator which is packaged with CorelDraw! There are some free programs also, suchs as "the Font Thing" from or "X-fonter" from (I am not associated with any of these companies)

Do not uninstall windows system fonts. If you need a list of which fonts have to stay in stalled, let me know. When in doubt, deny all terms and defnitions.

Thanks for the info I will definately take some of the fonts off. I am a font-aholic.:~/

>> I am a font-aholic<<

So am I, I have over 1,000 fonts on my box at home... you will notice that pagemaker, illustrator, photoshop and other programs that load the font info open up much faster after paring down the fonts list. When in doubt, deny all terms and defnitions.

How do I go about deciding which fonts can come off and getting rid of them?

Arial
Arial Black
Arial bold
Arial Bold italic
Arial italic
Comic San MS
Comic San MS Bold
Courier 10, 12, 15
Courier New
Courier New Bold
Courier New Bold Italic
Courier New Italic
Impact
Lucida Console
Lucida Sans Unicode
MS Sans Serif 8, 10, 12, 14, 18, 24
MS Serif 8, 10, 12, 14, 18, 24
Small Fonts
Symbol
Symbol 8, 10, 12, 14, 18, 24
Tahoma
Tahoma Bold
Times New Roman
Times New Roman Bold
Times New Roman Bold Italic
Times New Roman Italic
Verdana
Verdana Bold
Verdana Bold Italic
Verdana Italic
Webdings
WingDings

These fonts are installed by Windows and the System requires them. Don't delete.

In addition, there is one hidden font which should never be removed from the Fonts folder: Marlett

Some other non-critical TType fonts which may be required for the correct operation of applications like MS Office and MS Outlook include:

The fonts include:
Abadi MT Condensed Light
Book Antiqua
Calisto
Century Gothic
Copperplate Gothic
Matisse ITC
News Gothic MT
Lucida Handwriting
Lucida Sans (but Lucida Sans Unicode may be required by some apps)
OCR A Extended
Tempus Sans ITC
Westminster

Uninstall all others except for ones that you personally prefer to use on a regular basis. Then, using one of the font management programs, you can install and iuninstall the fonts as you need them. These programs have a preview feature so you can quickly scroll through and see what fonts you want to use. You can also create packages of fonts to install a certain family or style of fonts easily. When in doubt, deny all terms and defnitions.

I hate to sound like a dunce, but where should I go to delete them?

First thing you should do is obtain a font management system. See my first post. I have used the Font Thing at home, and it is well designed and easy to use, but only certified for Win98/NT. I use Font Navigator by Bitstream, packaged with CorelDRAW at work. This is the easiest way to manage the fonts. Or you go to control panel>fonts and install or unistall through it. When in doubt, deny all terms and defnitions.

Thank you thank you thank you! I experienced this *exact* problem, and went on the net in search of help. Found this site through a Google search, and the help given for this question was exactly what I needed! You guys are a lifesaver!!!!!

And remember, you have to go to the actual Type menu to make changes to the default font without a doc open.

- Adobe Bob

I got rid of all but the necessary fonts, installed PM 7.0 and it still won't open. Still says unable to load icon DLL for this screen.
Any other ideas out there???
Sure would appreciate it.
Wag

The icon.dll error is almost always related to too many fonts.... what OS are you using?

I would recommend an uninstall, mamnually deleting the folders... then a reinstall with screensavers and AV turned off... if you are on W2K or XP, then install as admin or in the user name that you will be using PM in. But give that user admin privs, install, then turn the user back to super user... but the user shouldn't be restricted or PM may not work. When in doubt, deny all terms and defnitions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back