Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PM files from G-3 OS 9.2.2 will not open on my G-4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Popdot

Technical User
Nov 15, 2010
US
My PageMaker files from my G-4 iBook OSX 10.4 running in the Classic environment will not open on my iMac G-3 9.2.2. When I transfer the file to the iBook, the PageMaker icon is missing and it shows up as a PC file. Anybody know if this issue can be resolved?

A) It's years since any one posted here.

B) I'm more familiar with the finer points Windows and PM than a Mac, sorry.

C) PM is now a dead product and the usual advice about editing (old) PM files is to use a contemporary computer and OS. I think anything later than Classic mode is a non-starter on a Mac, though I stand to be corrected on that.

D) Move on to InDesign while there is a still a huge discount for PM Licence holders. Ae the successor application to PM, InDesign will convert and open your PM files (PM6 or later). If the publications are long and/or complex, they will need working on in InDesign. You will also need the original fonts and images for the conversion - if they're missing, then there'll be even more work.

E) You can alos post your query in the PM Section of Adobe User-to-User Forums - - and prepare yourself for a much stronger version of my gentle and hopefully helpful responses above.

F) You are extremely unlikely to get formal support from Adobe re: PM. They will probably refer you to Adobe Forums as in E) above.

Liverpool: Capital of Culture 2008
Anfield: Capital of Football since 1892
Iechyd da! John
Glannau Mersi, Lloegr.

Thank you for the response.

I retired from the printing industry in 2005 but moonlight a little from my shop at home. I do a monthly newsletter for a country club and a few small odds and ends jobs. I still output from an Imagesetter (Lino 300) and a Lino RIP 50. So you can see that keeping current with software causes problem with my older hardware. I have CS2 but have issues with old drivers and OSX so I need to work in the Classic environment.

Since I posted this thread I went back to the old but reliable Windows Pagemaker 7.0 running in XP. It took awhile to convert MAC PM to PC PM, but it was worth it. I have more flexibility with fonts in Windows as opposed to the MAC.

Thanks again for your input.

Walt Werzyn
Johnstown, PA

PopDot said:
I went back to the old but reliable Windows Pagemaker 7.0 running in XP.
That's the end of the road position for PM.

If you're considering future work with PM, then make sure that WinXP PC has a long future in front of it!

Liverpool: Capital of Culture 2008
Anfield: Capital of Football since 1892
Iechyd da! John
Glannau Mersi, Lloegr.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back