Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PM 7.0 vs. WIN XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeep

Technical User
Jun 14, 2000
US
Experiencing a few anomalies with PM 7.0 in WIN XP, e.g., (1)moving a PM file to the Desktop results in Access Denied messages, and the file cannot be returned to its previous folder; (2)attempt to delete the same file from the Desktop again results in an Access Denied message but if Shift-Delete is used the file will delete, but it will not allow itself to be put in the Recycle Bin; (3)copied a PM file from the PM application in ME to the PM application in XP successfully, but after moving the file from Layout view to Story Editor, going to Utilities, Spelling, the application closes the moment I click on Start for the spell check--other files created in PM 7 on the XP drive will check spelling without a problem. Don't understand these strange happenings.

Yes, PM is PageMaker; sorry about that.

Daft question, but is PM 7.0 actually certified to work with XP ?

Have you got the program compatability updates installed on XP ?

Do Adobe have any patches for PM 7.0 regarding XP ?

Have you tried running it in compatability mode ?

I assume PM7 is not certified based on the statement of their Executive Vice President at the following address:
Haven't found any patches from PM but did try the compatability feature in XP. XP made some changes to a few things but I decided I was better off before the changes. Within the program things seem to work pretty well; there's just a few quirks as mentioned.

Just used the Wizard a second time. First try with Spelling resulted in loss of the page the moment I clicked on Start; tried again, saving the file first, and spell check worked fine. Next I wrote a test document and saved it to the Desktop, then moved it into a folder (not on the Desktop) which worked fine, but when I attempted to move it back to the Desktop was told that Access is Denied. Tried to delete it (rt click, delete) and was told Access Denied. Used rt click, shift-delete (bypassing the Recycle Bin) and it deleted.
Strange! Any explanations out there?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back