Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

plz help w/ job decision

Status
Not open for further replies.

knowledgeisnetworkin

IS-IT--Management
Feb 22, 2004
US
I currently work for a company doing field tech srvc. the job pays per call. the job is up and down. when the work is booming I can end up with a $650 check for the week, but when its not I could end up with $200 for the week. The only problem is I dont know what kind of a week imma have from week-to-week. I averaged out all my weeks for the year, and I the checks come out to be about $350-400 a week. my lowest week to date has been $177. lately the work has been sluggish. No benefits, no 401(k), nothing. the only good thing is there are no real work hours. you finish your work your done. I could start work @ 10:00 and be in the house by 12:30-1:00 in the afternoon. at the end of this year I figure to gross a tad more than $30,000.

On the other hand, I have some interview opportunities for full time work, w/ benefits, 401(k) and all the fixins. But the jobs are only paying between 25K and 28K. and I also have to get back in the hustle of working a regular 9-5, and only having a weeks vacation, and having to put in for a vacation day, and calling out sick. You know the basic office politics. at this job im at now i could tell them imma be gone for a month, they dont care, b/c it aint costin them $$$$.

If these new job opps come through for me should I take them at lower pay, w/ benefits and 401(k) etc. or should I stay and work for a company that may or may not have more work for me ?

The decision ultimately comes down to whether the money, security, benefits, or job satisfaction is most important to you.
I assume you do not have medical insurance at your current job. This suggests you are still young and don't have a family or get sick/injured often. If you break your leg at your current job, who pays the medical bills?
Benefits aren't just about 401k and vacation. Medical, Dental & 401k would definitely offset the pay difference.

So it really comes down to what do you want out of a job.

I am what I am based on the decisions I have made.

DoubleD [bigcheeks]

Think about your future. You may think you're getting a good deal now, but when disaster strikes and you have no help to expect, you'll see just how raw your deal is.

Without a family to support, I'm sure you can get by. But I'm also sure you'll be viewing the "daily grind" differently with a wife and child to care for.

The decision is very subjective. I would take whatever freedom I can, while the price is low. As your responsibilities grow, you will find freedom in different things.

Pascal.

The difference in salaries is about $2000, right? Can you get health & dental insurance for that amount?

The lack of a 401(k) in your current position hurts you because it means that any retirement savings you're accumulating are after-tax. So if you're in a 25% tax bracket (say), you're only making 75% of the interest you could otherwise be earning.

Chip H.

Not claiming that I know much, but the insurance and other benefits should count between 4-6 grand (probably overestimated) when you think about them. So if you are doing a direct comparsion of monies earned you can not forget convert the benefits into "cash" for a better estimate.

Salary websites can give better comparision then I.

Can you work both job? Like do night calls when you want?

Using your numbers when it is "booming" you earn $650/week.

If you worked 52 weeks of the year: 650 * 52 = 33,800.

Yet, you claim a low week of $177.

Your stated weekly average for the year is $350-400/week.

For 52 weeks that is: 350 * 52 = 18,200
OR
For 52 weeks that is: 400 * 52 = 20,800

It would seem to be difficult, given your own numbers to earn slightly more than $30,000 for the year.

Anyway, given the work you are doing I would suspect that you are paying your own taxes? Or you should be, which means that you are paying 15+% social security, and your quarterly income taxes, state taxes, FICA, and add in no major med or dental insurance.

So your net on $33,800 would be subract $5,000 for Soc Sec, around $6000 Fed Inc., $2000 State Inc., $2000 FICA which would leave you with about$18,000. Pay for your own gas (though you might be able to deduct it. Unlikely, though, that you have enough do offset the personal exemption; so you are forking out gas for work on your own.) Mortgage (not sure how you could get one given your income and the ebb and flow per week.) Car payment, phone, insurance, food, entertainment, etc.

Must be tough. I would look for a real job, myself.

And if you get a 'real job' you will probably learn more about the type of work you do. You'll have co-workers to learn from and may even have opportunity to take classes paid for by your employer. That will only improve your worth. I would also think that the full-time position presents opportunity for regular raises or bonuses. Sure the office politics suck, and so does a set schedule, but it's unlikely(though not impossible) you'll get very far in the type of position you're in now.

Could you take a "career break" from your current employer, and try out the other, steady job? And then return to your current employer if you hate the new job?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back