Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Plugin errors 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

zedbiker

Technical User
Dec 4, 2002
GB
I am having trouble downloading programs from the internet. In particular the free RealOne Player. Everytime I click on download an error appears saying that "plugins did not initialise" and then that there may be a problem with a plugin. It leaves the ActiveX icon in the corner of the screen.
I guess it has something to do with the ActiveX. All the security settings are set to enable ActiveX and downloads.
I can't even download I.E. 6.0 from the Microsoft Web site. Same problem.
I would be really grateful for any help.

Since you can't download, you're going to have to resort to either repairing IE via SYSTEM INFORMATION TOOLS or restoring a previous windows configuration (if the option is available) and if either of those two don't work, then get the Win9x CD ready to reinstall IE (version 4.0?) after having thoroughly removed the duff one, through the windows setup tab in ADD/REMOVE PROGRAMS.

Can't think of anything else if you can't download. Treat your children well. They get to choose your nursing home!
Phil
Please tell me if the answer I gave was helpful or a bus ride out. Without your feedback I won't know.

Thanks Phil
As it is for a friends computer it might be a week or so before I can try this out properly but thanks for the advice.
I was hoping to avoid that route but it sounds as if it is the only way to go.
I will get back to you.
Thanks again.
Ian

This should fix the download problem. Click start--run--type regedit and click ok. Doubleclick on each of these:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Plugins

After you doublelclick the Plugins key you'll see a key named Extension underneath. Right click on it and choose delete. Don't worry it's safe to delete and it'll get recreated if and when it's needed but you may want to back up the Extension key first just in case. To do that, highlight the key then at the top click registry--export registry file--give it a name and save it to a folder. Then close regedit and then try downloading. (You may or may not have to restart after removing that key.)

Note: i'm referring to the Extension key under Plugins not the Extensions key under Internet Explorer. Don't delete the wrong one cause they aren't the same.

Hi Kento and CrustyOldBloke
Tried both lots of advice last night. Unfortunately it seemed virtually impossible to remove and reinstall IE. It kept trying to tell me that I wanted to repair it not remove it.
Tried erasing the extension key and hooray it seems to have worked. Left him happily downloading software.
Thanks to both of you for your advice.
I hope to be able to return the favour one day.
Ian

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back