Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Plug USB printer in and nothing happens

Status
Not open for further replies.

WestPAGiz

Technical User
Jan 20, 2003
US
I have an HP Deskjet 3915 USB that wouldn't print. So I un-installed and re-installed and when it came to the part to plug in printer, I did and nothing happened. Windows XP home wouldn't recognize it. So I took it to another XP machine and it installed and printed fine. Does anyone know of anything else to delete before trying to re-install so that XP will recognize this usb printer. Nothing shows up in the device manager when it is plugged in or unplugged.

Go into your device manager, and uninstall your USB hubs and controllers. Reboot, it will re-sense them and re-install the drivers for them. Then try again.

As with most HP printers, the DRIVER SOFTWARE needs to be installed *BEFORE* plugging in the USB cable, to make sure that it doesn't "auto sense" and load the wrong drivers.

Just my 2¢

"When I die, I want people to say 'There was a wise man' instead of 'Finally, his mouth is shut!'" --Me
--Greg

Yay! :D

Just my 2¢

"When I die, I want people to say 'There was a wise man' instead of 'Finally, his mouth is shut!'" --Me
--Greg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back