Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Plug & Play Misread 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnnybluenote

IS-IT--Management
Jan 12, 2002
Windows XP Pro SP2 - all updates installed.
2.9 GB Intel Processor
When I put in a Netgear GA311 NIC, XP Pro Plug and Play feature identifies it as: Realtek RTL8169/8110 Family Gigabit Ethernet NIC.
Any ideas how to work around this? Or, how to change the identification? I've tried different PCI sockets and the result is the same.
Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

let it install as Realtek RTL8169/8110 Family Gigabit Ethernet NIC and then use the Device manager

START
SETTINGS
CONTROL PANEL
SYSTEM
HARDWARE tab
DEVICE MANAGER
Right click it and UPDATE DRIVER
Do not use Windows Update
Use Install from A list or specific location

update the drivers from the CD or what ever source they are on.

Thanks for the idea, unfortunately, that won't resolve the issue. I get the message that says the best driver is already installed. Windows uses the Realtek driver and even though I browse to the drivers that come with the GA311, XP won't install them.

according to the net... the Netgear NIC has the realtek chipset... hence it's picking up the chipset id not the card manufacture

Not sure if there is a reg setting or util out there that will change the ID within Device Manager.

. Download the newest Realtek driver -
. Use that

. The Netgear CD with the GA311 contains no driver, and depends on the Realtek native driver. You might as well use the current Realtek driver.

From an Amazon.com review of the GA311:
"On the Netgear site, there are no drivers, only 2 pdf docs (included on the CD), and the only download is the initial firmware release which is totally useless because there is no other firmware to install (the only reason why you'd want the initial releae). On Netgear's operating system compatibility page, the section for the GA311 is totally blank, indicating that the company's support people don't even have any info on their own product."

Thanks for the input, Bcaster. The new drivers did the trick. Actually, there wasn't a problem with the NIC under Windows XP but I also use Windows Server 2003 - Small Business Server on a dual-boot and it was 2003 which would not recognize the NIC. Once I installed the drivers, as you suggested, all was well.

John

Good news.
Thanks for reporting back on your progress.

Best,
Bill Castner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back