Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

plsql into text file

Status
Not open for further replies.

wsam

MIS
Apr 27, 2001
CA
Newbie - I am trying to create a plsql statement that takes results from one select statement and puts them into the 2nd and then puts the results from the 2nd statement into a text file

ie:

1st

SELECT HistNum FROM Hist WHERE date >= to_date:)fdt,'mm/dd/yyyy') and date < to_date:)tdt,'mm/dd/yyyy')

The results from above should go into:

2nd

SELECT * FROM Hist_Segs WHERE HistNum IN (results of 1st statement)

Thanks in Advance

Try this:
Code:
SPOOL MyResult.txt
SELECT * FROM Hist_Segs WHERE HistNum IN (
SELECT HistNum FROM Hist
 WHERE date >= to_date(:fdt,'mm/dd/yyyy')
   AND date < to_date(:tdt,'mm/dd/yyyy'));
SPOOL OFF
[3eyes]

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
The person who says it can't be done should not interrupt the person doing it. -- Chinese proverb

Spool MyResult.txt
SELECT hist_segs-* FROM Hist A, Hist_Segs B
WHERE A.HistNum = B.HistNum AND
A.date >= to_date:)fdt,'mm/dd/yyyy')
AND A.date < to_date:)tdt,'mm/dd/yyyy'));

spool off

This query takes about 2 minutes to run. With the query above, I run out of extents, even after I increase the extents as much as I can.

What I am trying to do is decrease the time that it takes for the query to run. I thought that using a PLSQL query, I could speed things up.

You need an index on HistNum and date.

Analyze tables and indexes.

[noevil]

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
The person who says it can't be done should not interrupt the person doing it. -- Chinese proverb

Also, Theresa, could you please post the "extents error" message that you are receiving? We can help you resolve that issue.

[santa]Mufasa
(aka Dave of Sandy, Utah, USA)
[I can provide you with low-cost, remote Database Administration services: see our website and contact me via www.dasages.com]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back