Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Pls. Tell me SNMP concepts 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

sachinss

Programmer
Aug 2, 2002
IN
Hi,

I am new to SNMP. I have few doubts about SNMP.
I just wanted to get them clear.
For the same I am troubling you all.

I want to develop a complete application based on SNMP.

What are the major components involved into SNMP development?

1* SNMP Manager (works on Administrator machine where he can monitor (control) N/W information)

2* SNMP Agent (loaded on all N/W elements to be managed)

3* SNMP Proxy (loaded on a machine which works on be-half of few elements to be managed which can not support SNMP agents running on them somehow)

4* SNMP MIBs (loaded on each and every agent and a central MIB on manager)

Are these the only components to be developed for SNMP?

I want to develop all agents and proxy in c++ or vc++ and manager in VB.
Is it possible?

Could anyone pls. tell me the steps involved into the SNMP development.

There are many MIBs (vendor developed) as well as many MIBs for each and every specific resource information (e.g. for ATM or for Ethernet)
Can I use already developed MIBs or I will have to create my own MIB as per my need?
In any case, how I can use them? What are the steps required for MIB development and its usage
(e.g. editing MIB and Compiling) ?

If you can tell me the links where from I can get this info then kindly tell me that.

Thanks again...

Sachin

OK....
1 - SNMP works on any machine. The great thing about it is I can hit an SNMP management tool using a browser from any PC. It is best to have a single device monitoring all SNMP "traps". That is messages sent from SNMP compliant devices. see also DMI

2 - Not necessicarily. If the device is DMI 2.0 compliant, most networked components are they will send and receive SNMP information out of the box.

3 - got me on that one. Check these sites out.

4 - I am kinda shaky on MIBs, I know some devices can have more than one, and they can be edited, although I've not been able to find out how.

see the links above for more.

Can you develop in C? I better defer on that one too. VB shouldn't be a problem.

Sachinss,

Did you have any luck with the development???
I'm doing the same sort of project at uni, and was hoping that you may be able to shed some light on any findings that you've come across.....

I'm at the stage where i've reached a brick wall...done my research, even got parts of library in c++ but now..lost. Don't know if its any good to you, but read somewhere that SNMP++ is good for c++ and is downloadable from HP site.I would really appreciate it if you could share some things which you think would be relevant for me.

How are you intent on doing it in VB????

regards
waz.

Hai,
I am creating SNMP application using SNMP++ API by HP. I intend to make a MIB browser. I hve a doubt whether the GUI for MIB Browser can be made in VB and snmp++ API used for calls. If so how to make a snmp++ api call to get the functionality.
with regards,
Karthik.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back