Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Plextor 708UF does not meet specifications 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

drkrdr

IS-IT--Management
Jan 3, 2004
SE
Using Plextor 708UF I cannot burn full CD's, i.e. almost 700 Mb of disk space. I've tried both disk-at-once and track-at-once, even enabled the overburn feature but do not even get the question if I wish to overburn. The Media info says 697 Mb is available.

Trying the exact same files with the same media with another Plextor CD-burner, the Plexwriter 24/10/40U, with a positive result.

Nero 5.5.10.49 for 708UF.

From Plextor support I get "it's not a hardware issue", great help.

Any ideas?

Have you tried different brands of media? I use 3 different brands for three different drives!

You may need to update your burning software or even bump to the next version. Nero 5.x is pretty out of date re. DVD burners. Nero 6.x has been out for quite a while - check the hardware support lists on nero.com. should be at least ver. 5.5.10.49b and actually should be updated to the latest available (5.5.10.56) as all previously supported drives will continue to be supported as well as newer ones.
. IAC, I wouldn't be trying to run a new DVD burner on anything less than the latest update of Nero 6. The OEM version is available cheaply all over the web.
. Also update your drive's firmware if available. They are pathching those quite frequently on some of the new DVD burners.
.bh.

He who dares not offend cannot be honest. -- Thomas Paine.

Thanks Zepper, I will try this out although I find it amazing that Plextor ships its burners with inferior SW!

Well, you probably have the first version of Nero that supported that drive. Just a fact of life - one has to keep one's software updated. At least it's a free download - all 20MB of it...
.bh.
---------------

He who dares not offend cannot be honest. -- Thomas Paine.

zepper,

The Nero upgrade did the trick, thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back