Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Please suggest a configuration for 2 HDs , 1 CD-RW and 1 CD-R

Status
Not open for further replies.

zaidulon

Technical User
Jun 14, 2001
CA
I am planning to install 2 HDs , 1 CD-RW and 1 CD-R drive on my system (Win 98 SE, Celeron 900) . What would be the best arrangement if my priorities are fast HD access and CD to CD recording ?

I have in mind the following configuration :

Primary IDE :
Master : HD #1
Slave : CD-RW

Secondary IDE:
Master : HD #2
Slave : CD-R

Please comment or suggest other arrangements .

Thanks,

I would highly recommend putting the HD's on one IDE and the CD's on the other. It's not a very good idea to have CD's on the same IDE as you HD's because CD drives run slower, and therefore reduce the performance of your Hard Disks.

Primary IDE :
Master : HD #1
Slave : HD #2

Secondary IDE:
Master : CDRW
Slave : CD-R

I've got a DVD and CD drive on the same channel and it doesn't cause any problems when copying from one CD to another.

That's my personal preference! Hope it helps! :)

Thanks, xscape, for your kind input. Your comment softened my concern that putting CD-RW and CD-R on the same IDE channel may cause recording problem. It's encouraging to know that you have had no problem with your configuration. But in your case , do you have a recordable DVD or CD-RW? Thanks,

In my PC I've got a CDRW and DVD on the same channel (IDE 2). I was worried about copying from the DVD drive to the CDRW, but after talking to other people I tried it and haven't had any problems. It burns at full speed and I've had 1 buffer underrun out of about 50 CD's (and that was my fault for doing other stuff whilst burning). So I think that's a pretty good record.

Good luck with it! :)

It sounded very good to me. Thanks again ,xscape;

Hard drives on Primary IDE because they are MUCH faster,
Roms on the other.
I know when you start up it gives out a warning about to rom divices on one IDE channel but without say something like an IDE PCI controller card it's the best your gonna get! Martin

Thanks , Paparazi, for your suggestions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back