Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Please!! somebody..help me with OSPF

Status
Not open for further replies.

metafox

Technical User
Jul 13, 2005
DO
so..excume my english..in no very good-looking lol..
I have two cisco 1700 Router
OSPF area 0
e0 Router1 --- -- - - - -- - Router2 internet
internet s0 DCE s0/0 DTC
192.168.1.0/24

both routers provide me access to the internet..that I want to know is how to configure the router 2 if the router 1 failed..the access to the internet ?

If you are using static default route to connect internet,then maybe you can use the following command on router 2:

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 <ip_addr_of_the_exit> 112

I know..it.. But. 112 ?

What does 112 means? tell me.. i got to add 122 at the end of the command?

thank's anyway

Adding a number at the end of a static route entry just puts a cost on it.

For instance, if you had 2 static routes, such as a default route, pointing to 2 seperate next-hop addresses, then you would do something like this

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 <next hop IP>
ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 <next hop IP> 20

Where <next hop IP> is the IP address of the nearest interface of the router that you want to forward traffic to.

With the statement above it will prefer the 1st entry unless the next hop IP address is unreachable, in which case it will choose the second route (with the "cost" of 20).

You could have 10 different static routes with the same network/mask and all with different next hop addresses, all with different costs...that is if you had that many next hop IP addresses to forward to.

I think to answer your initial question, I'd really need to understand more of your infrastructure. For instance, I see OSPF enabled on the LAN.. presumably these devices sit at the heart of your network (Area 0 is mentioned). More importantly where do the Internet users sit in relation to these devices, i.e. is router 1 and/or router 2 the default gateway for these users or is that another device?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back