Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Please recommend ORACLE/SQL/VB reference book

Status
Not open for further replies.

jihcheng

Programmer
Jul 12, 2000
US
Dear friends,<br><br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;I am trying to use VB to access our Oracle database.<br>However, I have no experience in this topic. Could you<br>recommend some good books/Web for VB/ORACLE/SQL beginner? Thanks a lot.<br><br>Sincerely,<br><br>Jih-Cheng

I have a book called VB6 Database.&nbsp;&nbsp;You are going to have to use DAO or ADO to connect to that and there is a good number of books on that subject.<br><br>Good Luck

positran,<br><br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;I tried to search this book &quot;VB6 Database&quot; from bookpool.com but didn't find it. Could you please <br>give me the full name of this book or further information<br>about this book? Thanks!<br><br>Have a good day.<br><br>jihcheng

visual basic developers guide was helpful to me with sql server it is written by Dianne Siebold.

VBVines,<br><br>Thanks a lot!<br><br>jihcheng

Here's a list I had made up for a colleague....<br><br><br>Title: Sams Teach Yourself SQL In 24 Hours<br>ISBN: 0-672-31245-X<br>Price: $24.99<br>Rating: Four stars<br>Comments: Easy to read guide on learning SQL -- has lots of examples<br><br><br>Title: Practical SQL Handbook: Using Structured Query Language<br>ISBN: 0-201-44787-8<br>Price: $39.95<br>Rating: Three stars<br>Comments: The reader creates their own database, then runs queries against it.&nbsp;&nbsp;Comes with a CDROM with a desktop edition of Sybase SQL Anywhere.&nbsp;&nbsp;Good, but I didn't care for the users having to create their own database first.<br><br><br>Title: SQL Programmer's Reference<br>ISBN: 0-07-882460-5<br>Price: $16.99<br>Rating: Four stars<br>Comments: Written by an Oracle employee, this book is specific to Oracle, (but also covers ANSI SQL-92).&nbsp;&nbsp;A reference book only, it has bubble charts to show all options for the SQL commands.&nbsp;&nbsp;Good to look things up in after learning SQL.<br><br><br>Chip H.<br><br>

And one more...<br><br>Instant SQL Programming from WROX.&nbsp;&nbsp;This is the book they are basically using to teach SQL at SmartPlanet.com&nbsp;&nbsp;WHich may be another option for you is to take Intro to sQL at SmartPlanet.com&nbsp;&nbsp;It's very cheap and well worth it.<br><br>My 2 cents<br><br>Mary :eek:)

Chip - would make an excellent FAQ entry.... <p>Mike<br><a href=mailto:michael.j.lacey@ntlworld.com>michael.j.lacey@ntlworld.com</a><br><a href= Cargill's Corporate Web Site</a><br>

Mike -<br><br>Good suggestion.&nbsp;&nbsp;There's one more book that I want to add to the list -- the author takes 20 pages to cover the SELECT command, which being what you use most often, ought to have the most coverage.&nbsp;&nbsp;Let me find the ISBN, price, etc. then I will post a FAQ.<br><br>Chip H.<br>

Mike -<br>I've submitted the book list as a FAQ in the VB/Databases forum.<br><br>The new book I added was:<br><br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;<i>Title:</i> SQL Clearly Explained<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;<i>ISBN:</i> 0-12-326426-X<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;<i>Price:</i> $39.95<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;<i>My Rating:</i> Four stars<br><br>... just got the email from Tecumseh confirming my FAQ has been approved -- fast work, Dave!<br><br>Chip H.<br>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back