Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

please read this

Status
Not open for further replies.

pawz

Technical User
Dec 24, 2002
GB
I have brought this subject up before, here and elsewhere, and the silence has been deafening. I am calling it to folks attention again because I can't believe this should happen, or can happen, but it HAS happened to me three times, the first time by disaster, the other times by me testing to see if it would do it again, and it did, each time.
I am hoping some brave soul will run a similar test and either not meet my own experiences, so I know it is a problem only on my machine and not 'normal', or finds the same thing happens and confirms it so that other folk do not suffer a disaster - and maybe someone asks Microsoft how this can be....

I am running XP Pro SP1. I wanted to claim back some hard drive space on each of my four drives, so I went to Disk Cleanup on each of the drive properties sheet General tab and clicked on the button.
First it compressed my 'old' files, which was fine, then it gave me the options of having files cleaned from two areas - recycle bin and the catalogue files for the contents indexer.
The amount of files reckoned to be compiled by the Indexer was enormous, but the blurb explained that these were files left over from a previous indexing operation and could be deleted safely - so I trusted the message and that is what I did, and I lost almost all of them.
In some cases the folders were left but with nowt inside, but the vast majority WERE deleted - the actual files, not some indexed list of files. Docs, applications, utilities, game sav files ( sob) - most everything except system files. It took 'old' stuff as well as a folder with updated docs in it that I had only just completed, and which I only managed to recover about two thirds of. I was horrified when I realised what had happened, couldn't believe it, so I backed up the few items I had left on my now wonderfully empty drive, and then set up the same operation - and again it took most but not all of everything, deleting some things out of the same folder as stuff it left, other places taking the lot. I did it again today, just to remind myself, and the same result.

How can this be? How can it say 'these files can be safely deleted' and then delete the majority without any further warning? It can't be meant to do this surely?
Please will someone else with more than one logical drive available have a go, after backing up of course, just to see if they get the same result.
I would really like to know for my own interests, but also to warn other folk not to tick the cleanup box for contents indexer if the same thing is going to happen to them...

Gracie:)

Linney, you say that others have tried for similar faults and not come up with any results - this is good news. It allows me to focus on my own system as the source of this behaviour.

I take your suggestion about a format and reinstall on-board but may not action it just yet, but,as you say, that does seem a good next step. For the moment I shall keep Indexing disabled and make sure I don't tick the bottom box in Disk Cleanup.

thankyou for your help

Hi,

I have a question: why use NTFS on all partitions?

I've only EVER enabled this for the op. sys partitions: usually just (C:). The rest for me are usually data, therefore FAT32 is good enuff (and less complicated).

Am I being too simplistic here?

Regards,

Darrylle

Never argue with an idiot, he'll bring you down to his level - then beat you with experience. darrylles@yahoo.co.uk

Darryle:

Advantages of NTFS:

Security - if you want to secure data between users, or have more granularity than share permissions give you if using the peer to peer networking.

Required for advanced features (NTFS compression, disk quotas, software disk spanning etc).

The filesystem includes a commit/rollback feature so that if the PC crashes part way through a disk write, you are pretty much guaranteed to get the data correctly written.

John

If you wish to remove the option for "catalog files for the contents indexer" this MSKB will lead you to the appropriate Registry Key for removal.

Disk Cleanup Tool Stops Responding While Compressing Old Files

This is what I have in my key (remember I have Indexing disabled).

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\VolumeCaches\Content Indexer Cleaner]
@="{A9B48EAC-3ED8-11d2-8216-00C04FB687DA}"
"PropertyBag"="{24400D16-5754-11d2-8218-00C04FB687DA}"
"FileList"="*.*"
"Folder"="?:\\Catalog.wci"
"Flags"=dword:00000141
"Priority"=dword:0000012c
"StateFlags"=dword:00000001

Here's mine for comparison;

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\VolumeCaches\Content Indexer Cleaner]
"FileList"="*.*"
"Folder"="?:\\Catalog.wci"
"StateFlags"=dword:00000000
"StateFlags0001"=dword:00000002

Indexing also disabled.

Andy.

um, here is mine - indexer also disabled, or supposed to be....

"FileList"="*.*"
"StateFlags"=dword:00000001

it doesn't have the folder line in mine...what does that indicate??

.... and an extra line in mine; StateFlags0001 !

Curiouser and curiouser...

Andy.

It might mean that there is no folder called Catalog.wci to be found on any of your drives. Of course it could mean something totally different too!

That folder or Catalog is not on my machine, so it is probably something that would only be available if you used indexing.

Indexing Service creates an index of document content and properties (such as file name, date created, date modified, author name, and number of characters) on your local hard disks and on shared network drives. The index information is stored in catalogs.

If Disk Cleanup was not pointing to the Catalog correctly maybe (only maybe) the *.* gave it license to use its imagination when it came to deleting files?

That's just supposition and wild guessing on my part.

I don't use "System Restore". I use "Go-Back". The files for Go-Back (for each partition) is called "Catalog.wci".

mm,don't quite know where that leads, but its all a learning experience I spose! Ho-hum

I downloaded the batch files from Freds page and did my best to follow instructions (with several interruptions from spouse and phone). I printed out the read me and backed up important files to a cd, then clicked on cleanXP.
A message came up saying the path could not be found - twice, then disk cleanup appeared to 'clean up' C:, got stuck on D:, so I tried again after logging off and on, this time it got through all the drives, but nothing was actually deleted I think - so either I am not doing the right things or something is amiss. I expect it is me, I am not too familiar with batch files and dos commands.

Fed up I am, that suggested reformat is getting nearer

ah Bill! Yes, that looks helpful. I have to do a doc and take a lady's pootah back to her now, but I shall read that later, and learn.

thank you

Alright I give up "I have to do a doc and take a lady's pootah back to her now."

Now you are teasing me. I assume "a doc" is a break, but as one with limited imagination, I cannot come up with anything other than obscene for the rest.

I hope this is the "lady's computer" we are talking about.

grin,
Bill

hello Bill, didn't mean to get your grey matter churning.
Doc = DOCument
pootah = comPUTER (sort of onomatapoeic slang)

you worked it out fine,of course, but I must remember we don't speak quite the same language on each side of the pond!

Have I said something with a murky connotation over there??

Open mouth, put foot in, that's me!

Another thing to watch out for is Critical Updates.

Some totally ignore your own settings and change them back to defaults, e.g. starting the Windows Time Service again (for PC's without Internet access this creates System Event errors), restoring System Restore settings to default values (i.e. turning monitoring back on), restoring Recycle Bin settings, etc.

We were caught out on this several times until we realised what was happening.

Hope this helps...

oh crumbs, this is getting complicated and into areas I have not considered...I don't THINK anything untoward happens on this machine after an update. I get no error messages, no reversal of settings that I am aware of. There was one critical update that caused problems in OE, and MS brought out a fix, but that was months and months ago, apart from that.... :(

Pawz,

It's not too complicated. If you've set your own custom settings for things like:

- the size available for System Restore points
- re-configured the size available for the Recycle Bin
- disabled certain services (like the Windows Time Service)

then you just need to check they haven't been altered after installing any Critical Updates. It only takes a few moments.

If you don't make any custom changes and are happy with the defaults then there's no problem.

Rick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back