Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Please post makes and models of Generic PC's that have 4.1(2) running

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stenlonus

MIS
Mar 5, 2001
US
I am looking to buy a PC that can run CCM 4.1(2). Can everyone post the makes and models of Generic PC's that have 4.1(2) running? Thanks for your help.

Microsoft Virtual Server 2005.

It is what it is!!

Thanks for the post. What was the make and model of the PC/Server that you ran Microsoft Virtual Server 2005 on?

Doesn't really matter. It will run on anything. What matters is the way it emulates hardware.

To answer the questions, it was run on a 4 way Dell server. 6650 i believe.

It is what it is!!

The best platform to install CCM on is one of the approved platforms that Cisco list:

As long as you have an approved hardware platform and the OS Installation disks you will get a perfect install. I bought a Compaq DL320 server off eBay (P3 800Mhz) for less than £200 and this works perfectly. I have seen DL380's go for about £100.

One thing to bear in mind is the disk configuration the OS Installation is expecting - by far the easiest is the DL320 as this is just IDE. The DL380's have the Compaq on-board SCSI Raid controllers so I think you would need at least 2*18GB SCSI disks. This would still be a cheap solution though.

I have never got a fully functioning CallManager server by installing on a generic PC and applying the registry hacks etc. The Cisco install reconfigures a lot of default Windows 2000 settings and renames various user accounts. So even though CCM installs after the registry hacks lots of the WEB components do not work correctly.

Get yourself a cheap DL320 or DL380 off eBay and you will be on a winner.

Good luck

Andy

I use DL380s from HP. Then I used the Microsoft Virtual Server migration toolkit to migrate the OS to the virtual server platform. Almost a perfect solution. I can then take that virtual hard drive and put it on any machine I want, including Virtual PC 2004 on my laptop. Great learning tool. I wouldn't run it in production, but .....

Great learning tool. Nice for sales too if I was so inclined (I'm not).

It is what it is!!

Thanks for the info. Can you load serveral virtual server sessions at the same time on the same laptop? What kind of memory is needed to run CCM and Unity and IPCC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back