Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Please! Need Help Tonight!! How do I reset an Autonumber!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
Please read the post below about resetting an Autonumber. I really really really need some help tonight. Thank you

Another (fairly) easy way... go into design view,
change the field to another datatype, save it,
and change it back (this assumes that you dont
have any data in the autonumber, and just want to
start over at 1 or whatever).

Another option, copy the table, and when you
paste it back in, choose structure only, this will
give you an empty copy of the same table, with the
autonumber reset.

Tj

There is an SQL way, if you have JET4. See my reply in another post today.

I reset the autonumber field [Order ID] in my order table every year. If you need to hold the records you already have rename the table to access those records later. The only info I have found on reseting and autonumber field requere you to start with no data in the field.

For example I save my orders table under a different name every year. ORDERS99 ORDERS00 etc. Once I have renamed them the ORDERS table is ready to be cleaned of any orders. Once my ORDERS table is empty the first Order I enter for the new year will be #1.

In Access 2002 (and possibly earlier) "Compact and Repair data base" will reset autonumber to start at 1 (Assuming the table is empty)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back