Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Please mount media... Well, I did 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Red04GT

IS-IT--Management
May 3, 2006
US
A little background here. I'm using ArcServe 2000 V7.0
MSServer 2003

When I try to restore a file that happens to be on the second back-up tape of the rotation, I am encountered with the following message: Please mount media TAPE NAME/DATE serial#1200023, ID D2D1, Sequence #2
(I'm thinking ok, the second tape is in what gives?!?!?!)

Keep in mind I am inserting the end of month tape 2 into the drive. When I look at the tape attributes everything is correct except for the sequence number. For some reason when it begins writing to the 2nd tape it is not assigning it the the correct sequence number. ArcServe is not my forte so I need help!

Thanks in advance guys

Hey,

This sounds like one of Arcserves many niggles. retry the operation and when get prompted for the 2nd tape do this:

1. Eject the first tape.
2. Click OK to the prompt. You should see the tape drive show up as Empty.
3. Insert the 2nd tape.
4. Click OK again.

It should now recognise the 2nd tapes presence and run the restore.

Please explain, at first you talk about a restore problem and then seem to go into a backup problem.

Well the statement "For some reason when it begins writing to the 2nd tape it is not assigning it the the correct sequence number." was just something I noticed. I don't know if that is what is giving the problem.

I am experiencing the same issue with ArcServe 2000. I begin to restore from Tape X Seq #1. It then asks for Tape X Seq #2 which I have. I eject the tape manually and put Tape X Seq #2 in the drive. However, the job does not seem to recognize it as the Activity Log continues to request Seq #2. I have checked the Tape Drive in Computer Management which shows Seq #2 is loaded in the Tape Drive(and we only have one), but the Device window in Arcserve 2000 still shows Sequence 1 is loaded. Refresh on the Device or the Media doesn't change this to Sequence #2. After an hour, the job cancels with "Mount Media request cancelled by user or by default timeout".

Please help Red04GT and myself!

For DSMCBackup: The eject function in the Device window does not work during this stage of the operation. It states that the Device is in use.

Well for a start if you're using AS2000 on a WIn2K3 platform you're screwed anyway, as it was never intended to be used nor supported on this platform. Secondly give us a clue what patch/build level it is at.

I'm running AS2000 Advanced Edition Version 7.0 (build level 1018) on Windows 2000 Server platform.

Thanks for your help.

Do you have a link for where I can get the latest patch(es)?

I installed SP5 and a couple of other patches. I still could not Scan, Merge or Restore from multiple tapes. Then I found my problem...

I have been doing this all remotely via Remote Desktop assuming all windows would be the same. I visited the office yesterday try it on the server.

Apparently one window does not pop-up via Remote Desktop; the window with the "Please mount Tape X Seq #2" that also has the OK button. Everything worked fine with this button.

Just posting in case someone else was trying their Scan/Merge/Restore from a remote location.

Tony

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back