Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Please mount any media

Status
Not open for further replies.

stevemoore

IS-IT--Management
May 16, 2000
GB
Upgraded from 6.61 to 9. Old jobs don;t work. Have tried new jobs too and every time the backup job begibs the big box coems up saying "Please mount any media". This is killing me! i have checked device group configuration and also made sure I have mounted all the tapes. Have tried it on different jobs and everything and it just keeps coming up with that. Help as always chaps would be most appreciated.

Okay, minor update. When I change the job options to amend to media the bloody thing runs. However, this can't be good can it? From what I remember this won't format the tape or grab the next one when full (TL891 changer) and will just write until the tape is full and then fail.
My desperate appeal for help stands!

If the tape is blank it will be formated with the current date and time. In all cases when the first tape is full it will span to another tape.

Perhaps it would be better to recreate the jobs.

Recreated the jobs and they fail unless it is set to amend. Am servicing packing now and will get back.

How many slots in your changer, how many tapes in the changer, and how many of them are BLANK?

10 slots and we used to just overwrite old media.

Don't know but it the details are provided it would help.

By the way it is apend, not amend.

I am having this same problem with 2000. We are also running the TL891.

The work around is to force the job to a tape. Again with the problem you mentioned above of the tape running out, however sometimes it will go onto the next tape !

And to think I thought updating to BS9 would fix the woes :(

With so few details it is tough to figure out a specific problem. So instead I will give a general recommendation that has solved more problems than anything else.

Get rid of the tape device and media changer drivers and configure the storage agent to leave them alone. See faqs for the fist and for the second go to Control Panal, HP/Compaq Management agents, Properties, remove SCSI Information.

Seem to be having more luck now. A lot of it was to do with the upgrade from 6.61 to 9 I think. Also, when you set up new tapes and jobs it seems to like having the media formatted first job. This is still ongoing but I'll continue to post so there is a resolution to be read.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back