Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Please how to create nav. ele like this? Home > Forums > Programmers > 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoJoH

Programmer
Jan 29, 2003
US
Hi all,

Does anyone of you know of any resources where it will teach me how to create a navigation map/status like the one you see at the top of almost every page at Tek-tips? For example, this is the ASP forum, then at the top there will be something like this

Home > Forums > Programmers > Graphics & Web Tools > ASP forum

Please advice.

Thanks in advance!

JoJoH

unfortunately upto my knwoledge this has to be done using HTML coding. (thought the attrib of the links can be changed)...

Known is handfull, Unknown is worldfull

I've been trying to develop a breadcrumb style navigation, too. Try the info found at the following links:

The info I found helped me get started, but I still haven't gotten the look/functionality I want. If you have success please post a notice in this thread.

Good luck.

Usually these are hardcoded (except for the directory based ones) and don't actually reflect the path the user has taken to get to a particular page in your site. If they were dynamic you would have to keep track of duplicates and clean up the list of pages so that the list didn't get to long.
One possibility would be to pass a comma delimited list of keywords with every link and form that appended a name for the current page on the end of it. Then you could create an include file with an ASP function to:
a) clean up the list
b) do a select case stmt to output the bread crumbs with links, and
c) return the cleaned up list for use in your links

To explain the cleaning up a little more:
say your user went to the home page, then search, then results, than an item view, then they went back to the top navigation and clicked contact
Code:
Home: Home
Search:  Home > Search
Results: Home > Search > Results
Item View: Home > Search > Results > Item
If you just appended contact at this point you would have:
Home > Search > Results > Item > Contact
which doesn't really show the navigation path well, because you don't have to go to item before clicking contact. It should be:
Home > Contact

So cleaning up would be removing those extra items from the middle that didn't correspond. One option would be to hardcode the list passed by your navigation, then build the rest of the page specific links dynamically, this might take care of that problem.

-Tarwn

[sub]01000111 01101111 01110100 00100000 01000011 01101111 01100110 01100110 01100101 01100101 00111111[/sub]
minilogo.gif alt=tiernok.com
The never-completed website

Cookie Crums?! [rofl2][rofl] [lol], ok enough laughing... People are staring at me wondering why am I laughing so hard all of a sudden...

Chris Thanks for the link Chris! YES! A free download of breadcrumbs! You never fail to provide me with a fast, direct, and helpful solution Chris! Really! Thank you! (I've learned alot from the links and codes you've provided me!)[smile]

Krickles Thanks for the links to the articles, I'll peruse through them and see if I'm able to create one! (I probably will download the codes from the link Chris gave me for now, but in the near future I will probably learn to build one myself... just so that I could kill that guilty conscience of being lazy! [smile])

Tarwn: Thanks for the reply! Good thoughts and instruction, it gave me a foundation as to how this whole 'breadcrumbs' thing work. I would probably need to do a little more digging and studying to accomplish what you've said above. Thank you once again Tarwn!

JoJoH

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back