Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Please Help!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

NetReel00

MIS
Jan 6, 2003
US
I recently took a job as network administrator for a small company. They have one main site and 2 remote sites. We are running NT 4.0 servers and mainly win98 clients. One of the larger problems here is that the clients at the remote site are not getting NT authentication from the server. Also, there are only able to see computers on the network that are local to that site. I have checked with the company that manages our VPN services and they have assured me that they are not blocking any traffic on any ports through the tunnell. I have also tried editing the LMHosts file to include the computers at other sites as well as the servers. I can ping all of the computers on the network from any location, I just can't see them in Network Neighborhood, and can't authrnticate to the domain controller. The computers that are local to the domain controller have no problems. I am wondering if the problem might be related to the fact that the name of our private NT domain is the same as our public domain (blah.blah.nc.us)Could this be causing the remote computers to look out on the internet for the domain controller, and if so, why doesn't the static mapping through the lmhosts file solve this problem. If anybody could shed some light on this subject it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Mike

are you running wins? altough your vpn service is not really blocking any ports the netbios stuff port 137,139 etc required for nt may not be going across anyways. The easiest thing to do is WINS, lmhosts can be fun but wins should work unless the vpn is not setup correctly.

One thing to try is from the remote site do a find computer and type in the ip of one of the servers at home base what happens? Jeff

VPN's are notorious for this problem on an NT network. The browser manager cannot always see systems on the other side of the tunnel. Wins helps but this also depends on what type of encryption method and algorythm is used. IPSEC and IKE seem to work best. Firewalls can also be part of the problem if introduced into the mix. Explain your goal to your VPN Provider. Hopefully they will be your best resource.

What i have had to do (using IKE), in my VPN Client setup (using Windows VPN Client) is statically set the internal addresses of my name servers, both DNS and WINS.

This allows the client to see everything. Alshrim
System Administrator
MCSE, MCP+Internet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back