Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Please help with the zip-2.3

Status
Not open for further replies.

aiquyen

Technical User
Mar 25, 2003
US
Hello,

I tried to install zip-2.3 for my Sun Solaris v8 during the installation I got this error below. Please help. Thanks in advance.

bash-2.03# make -f unix/Makefile generic

Error start from the below line:

eval make -f unix/Makefile zips `cat flags`
cc -c -O2 -I. -DUNIX -DNO_PROTO -DNO_CONST -DNO_TIME_T -DNO_SIZE_T -DNO_RMDIR -c
/usr/ucb/cc: language optional software package not installed
*** Error code 1
make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `zip.o'
Current working directory /local/usr/zip-2.3
*** Error code 1
make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `generic'

You do not have the cc compiler in your LD_LIBRARY path or you do not have it installed. It is trying to compile and make the install file but cannot since it cannot find the compiler. Do a "which cc" and see what it says. If it is there, then you have permissions issues.

I have never had any luck personally with /usr/ucb/cc. You should probably download gcc which can be obtained from the link below.

ftp://ftp.sunfreeware.com/pub/freeware/sparc/8/gcc-3.2.2-sol8-sparc-local.gz

I believe the path to gcc after it is installed is /usr/local/bin/gcc. So you may have to add in your path /usr/local/bin if you do not already have it in there.

Hi,

I'm also hitting the same error in our solaris 8 server.

I've downloaded gcc to /usr/bin, but having the same problem.

# which make
/usr/ccs/bin/make
# which gcc
/usr/bin/gcc
# echo $PATH
/opt/CA/BrightStorEB/bin:/opt/CA/BrightStorEB/sbin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/ccs/bin
# pwd
/
# cd /usr/bin/zip23/zip-2.3
# make -f unix/Makefile generic
eval make -f unix/Makefile zips `cat flags`
cc -c -O2 -I. -DUNIX -DNO_PROTO -DNO_CONST -DNO_TIME_T -DNO_SIZE_T -DNO_RMDIR -DNO_STRCHR -DNO_STRRCHR -DNO_RENAME -DNO_MKTEMP -DNO_MKTIME -DZMEM -DNO_ERRNO -DNO_DIR -DHAVE_DIRENT_H -DHAVE_TERMIOS_H -DNO_VALLOC zip.c
sh: cc: not found
*** Error code 1
make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `zip.o'
Current working directory /usr/bin/zip23/zip-2.3
*** Error code 1
make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `generic'

Appricate any help.

If you edit the makefile, does it define a variable "CC"? You might be able to just change that to /usr/bin/gcc.

Annihilannic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back