Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Please help with .profile 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

aiquyen

Technical User
Mar 25, 2003
US
What do I need to set in .profile in Korn and Bourne shell to disallow my users from changing their .profile.

Thanks in advance for your help.

You could change the owner of each .profile to root and make sure permission flags are rw-r--r--.

I've got one machine where I want everyone to have the same profile, and no one but me can change it. What I did was make a shared profile ([tt]/etc/.shared_profile[/tt]), gave it appropriate permissions ([tt]rwxr-xr-x[/tt]), then each person only has a link to it in their home directory. That happens like...
[tt]
ln -s /etc/shared_profile ~username/.profile
[/tt]
This way if you need to make a change in the .profile, you change it just once and it's changed for everyone. I did allow for individual customization. The shared .profile has a line toward the end in it...
[tt]
[[ -f .my_profile ]] && . .my_profile
[/tt]
That way, if a user creates a file in their home directory called [tt].my_profile[/tt], it will execute it at login. This lets them add their own aliases or personal PATH additions without having to mess with the shared .profile.

Keep in mind that there is a [tt]/etc/profile[/tt] that they all execute. This would only be used if you have a small subset of users that you want a specific .profile for them.

Hope this helps.

Thanks all for your great help.

AQ

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back